Bucket of bolts.....

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
and I do not have the one I need :wack: 35 miles round trip to the nearest hardware store.....And it is the only bolt holding me up from finishing putting the bike back together.....

Been there done that. I'm sure it won't be the last time either.

I've got an ACE hardware not too far away and they have it all. I think a 1/3 of the store is just fasteners. Stainless, grade 5, Grade 8, standard, metric, socket head cap screws, polished........ you need it, they got it.

That sucks. Sometimes I make two trips in a day to ace for nuts/bolts, glad they're only like 4 mi away. Was there yesterday getting some tiny allen's for my hypercharger.

I've got an ACE hardware not too far away and they have it all. I think a 1/3 of the store is just fasteners. Stainless, grade 5, Grade 8, standard, metric, socket head cap screws, polished........ you need it, they got it.

Yep,
Prices are a bit 'upscale', however...

the local here has over 90k pieces (90 thousand) of every fastner
ever invented...

Guys, they even have a section (very, very, very, very small)
of British Wentworth stuff...

---lmao, just in case you are a transplanted brit that has an '59 XKE
and needs some 'love'. hahahahaha.

Yep,
Prices are a bit 'upscale', however...

the local here has over 90k pieces (90 thousand) of every fastner
ever invented...

Guys, they even have a section (very, very, very, very small)
of British Wentworth stuff...

---lmao, just in case you are a transplanted brit that has an '59 XKE
and needs some 'love'. hahahahaha.

Wow! Didn't know they have wentworth, but I never checked, lol. I used to work on a lot of Nortons and Triumphs...

Me, too. When ACE has their "bag sales" (everything you can fit into a paper sack) for 20% off, I typically load up on a bunch of fasteners. There is nothing worse than doing a project and coming up one screw short.

Me, too. When ACE has their "bag sales" (everything you can fit into a paper sack) for 20% off, I typically load up on a bunch of fasteners. There is nothing worse than doing a project and coming up one screw short.

Never thought of the bag sale, I'll have to remember that. :coffee2:

Another option is to hit the local AutoZone and pick up a Dorman Grade 5 bolt kit. It comes in a compartmentalized plastic container with hundreds of pieces. Good quality stuff for a reasonable price, about 20 bucks IIRC.

We also have a company out here called "Fastenall" with two outlets within 5 miles of me. They've got all kinds of stuff including sheet steel, angle iron, tube steel, etc.

http://www.fastenal.com/web/home.ex

Wow! Didn't know they have wentworth, but I never checked, lol. I used to work on a lot of Nortons and Triumphs...

HAHAHAHAHAHA,

Cripes now I am really dating Myself...

Black Shadow & TT 550...

--- side note ramcharger---

the "dogies" are thriving & living well.

???

HAHAHAHAHAHA,

Cripes now I am really dating Myself...

Black Shadow & TT 550...

--- side note ramcharger---

the "dogies" are thriving & living well.

???

Oh my oh my, those are some bikes I'd love to get my hands on...... I did get to work on a Ariel Square Four once. 8)

The Bratweilers are doing great! I was doing a little grilling last last night and they were on me like a cheap hooker. I had to peel them off me with a crowbar so I could eat my burger....

550 cord and/or duct tape. Problem solved, problem staying solved. Rangers lead the way.

- CK

Some bikes have a different thread then hardware stores carry. What bolt do you need?

It is just a 3/8 nc bolt. Just did not have the right length....plus I wanted a chrome one being that it is visible.....

550 cord and/or duct tape. Problem solved, problem staying solved. Rangers lead the way.

- CK

Really tough to hold a headlight on with duct tape........but I do carry vise grips and bailing wire in my tool bag....:glasses7:

do NOT put a plated bolt near any high heat , ie, exhaust parts. the plating will come off and jam the threads

I carry vise grips and aircraft tie wire in the toolkit of my dirtbike. Priceless items.
Somewhere around here are a couple of Wentworth wrenches I still have from way back.

I don't care how many bolts you stash, scrounge, buy, organize, rathole or whatever, you'll never have the exact ONE you need when you're in a pinch. (Or, if you do have it, you'll never be able to find it when you need it).

I don't care how many bolts you stash, scrounge, buy, organize, rathole or whatever, you'll never have the exact ONE you need when you're in a pinch. (Or, if you do have it, you'll never be able to find it when you need it).
This is true.

Had a five gallon bucket,of old fasteners. I think after five years of lugging,and dumping the fasteners out,I used maybe 15-20 fasteners. Chucked it,too much time wasted.

Had a five gallon bucket,of old fasteners. I think after five years of lugging,and dumping the fasteners out,I used maybe 15-20 fasteners. Chucked it,too much time wasted.
i prob. have at least 3 5 gallon buckets worth of bots,they are in drawers,some are brand new.some are just engine fasteners.big and small mopar,then theres the brand x drawer with bolts for any given thing....cant throw away good bolts cause then the next week i will need them......

Never thought of the bag sale, I'll have to remember that. :coffee2:

Another option is to hit the local AutoZone and pick up a Dorman Grade 5 bolt kit. It comes in a compartmentalized plastic container with hundreds of pieces. Good quality stuff for a reasonable price, about 20 bucks IIRC.

We also have a company out here called "Fastenall" with two outlets within 5 miles of me. They've got all kinds of stuff including sheet steel, angle iron, tube steel, etc.

http://www.fastenal.com/web/home.ex

Cool! We have a Fastenall here in town. I thought they only did business with the oil industry around here. I'll have to drop in to check it out.

I left a 5 gallon bucket of fasteners in AZ for this very reason. But down there a hardware store was only about a 5 minute drive....

-
Back