bucket seat question part 2

-

SpeedracerX

Still on this side of the dirt member
Reaction score
Hi gang... so.. in my ongoing saga to convert my Dart from bench to buckets.. heres where im at so far... I managed to score a nice set of A body seat tracks at the Nats.. they are 70 and up tracks.. I have heard (and the guy that sold them to me also said..) that the seat tracks for 67-69 are differant from 70 and up in that the later tracks have the seat up higher (the bottom of the seat was not as deep in the later seats.. how true that is I have no real clue... so.. piece one of the puzzle is found.. now.. another friend of mine has a set of buckets that he is willing to sell me very cheap (and with the money situation at the moment, thats key) only problem is they are B body buckets,.. out of a mid 70-s Charger or Magnum.. he was going to put them in his Scamp, but said they looked too big.. but when he got actual A body buckets he said they were a little narrower but not much.. In my case too wide doesnt bother me, as I am not going to run a console.. wide means more comfort to me,.. LOL .. my fear (or question) is, HOW differant are 70's A and B body buckets? Will the B body bucket be too deep (the seat part of the bucket)?? I dont want to get in and feel like I am sitting on phone books with my head smashed against the roof... any info or help here would be appreciated

They used spacers under the seats to change the height. Year One has them.
If you place the B-body seats in the A-body holes, you wont be able to reach the adjust lever or seat belt while the door is closed. If you're not installing a canter console you could drill 8 new holes in the floor.

Wow, so they really are that much wider? Not being able to reach the adjuster doesn't bother me, but not being able to get to the seat belt doesnt sound too good either. Space in the Dart seems kind of limited anyways, not sure I'm gonna have enough room to drill 8 new holes to have the seat far enough over to make a differance. These seats are pretty nice, but this has me wondering if they're worth the hassle. And would I need the spacers for height with a B body seat?

My friend put b-body seats in his Dart and had too make afew adjustments. He had to install spacers to get the right hight but the bigger problem was seat wasn't on center with steering wheel. He had to move tracks over some to get this right. When he was done they look and fit well.

My friend put b-body seats in his Dart and had too make afew adjustments. He had to install spacers to get the right hight but the bigger problem was seat wasn't on center with steering wheel. He had to move tracks over some to get this right. When he was done they look and fit well.

I'm gonna guess he had to move them in more towards the center of the car? It's gonna be a little more work than I had anticipated, but these seats are nice and the price is great.. So guess I'm gonna go that route. Anyone that can tell me how far in to relocate the holes (using A body seat tracks) I would appreciate it. Also anyone with a part # for the spacers? Thanks everyone

Let's suggest the b-body seat is 4 inches wider than the a-body seat. You would think the answer is move the seat 2 inches toward the center of the car. This puts your body 2 inches off center with the steering wheel. I'm not trying to be confusing or rain on your parade, just sharing my experience. 67 sport Fury buckets in a 67 Barracuda.
used those B-body tracks too. Placed the seats inline with the a-body spacing so I would be seated centered with the wheel. They wouldn't move all the way forward ( hit the console ) and couldn't get a hand between the seat and the door panel.
My 67 seat belts had those spring loaded roller things for retracters so I took those off and tossed them in the glove box. Left the belts laying in the seat.

Well I know using B body tracks will not make things any easier. That's why I'm going to use actual A body tracks. I have already found that the A body tracks will bolt right on to the seats. I hope this help some with alignment. Guess I'll just have wait and get the seats in the car and start experimenting. Lol. Im sure there are plenty of others that have used B body seats in an A body

Adding insult to injury is the fact that I just went to legendary's website... they dont make covers for the 75 and up buckets like those found in Chargers, Cordoba's and Magnums... so.. when it comes to getting these seats recovered, it will all have to be custom.... CaCHING!!! lmao

getting the correct seats up front would solve alot of problems..sd340

I suppose it would..However A-body buckets arent as easy to come by as I had hoped.. In fact its pretty difficult.. and most of the ones I have seen at shows are hosed and the asking price is insane (at least to me it is) these seats are in very nice shape and half the price that I have seen the hosed a-body seats for.. they are buckets after all... I have seen posts where people are putting late model seats in these cars, those clearly arent correct.. I can make these seats work, heck any seat can be made to work.. its just gonna take a little effort (and when it comes to recovering alot of dough LMAO).. Im really looking for someone that has used mid to late 70-s B body buckets in an A body, to give me a little guidance thats all

I saw your post from a search. I just bought a set of bucket seats from a - I think- Charger? Did you ever get your b body buckets put it? I dont have a body tracks though. I also bought a split bench with center armrest- that is from an a body- 72 I was told. I like the buckets, but if its a mess to do...

I saw your post from a search. I just bought a set of bucket seats from a - I think- Charger? Did you ever get your b body buckets put it? I dont have a body tracks though. I also bought a split bench with center armrest- that is from an a body- 72 I was told. I like the buckets, but if its a mess to do...

I bought the b body buckets.. and I have a-body seat tracks that im going to use, but no, I havent put them in the car yet.. Im a long way from that at this point..But I will keep you posted how it goes when I finally get to that stage

i have 2 sets of buckets here in pa.(17813) from a 67 barracuda, one set has tracks.250.00 for the set with tracks and 100.00 for the set without.both sets need recovered. will not ship.thanks mike

-
Back