Budget 17" Wheel Option

-

Criscobath

Reaction score
Has anyone used the 05-09 Dodge Charger/Magnum 17X7 steel wheels on their A-body? The bolt pattern is the same 5X4.5. A set of 4 very clean wheels only cost about $300 shipped on Ebay. It looks like they have 4.5" backspace. These should fit fine on my 73 Swinger, correct?

17inch_charger_wheels.jpg

I thought that body style's bolt pattern was 5x5 or something a little larger than our BBP.. but the rims still mount on the hub. Not sure if that's a big deal for you or not but.. Not sure on the backspacing, but that body style's wheels typically have large backspacing... 5+", I believe..

I thought that body style's bolt pattern was 5x5 or something a little larger than our BBP.. but the rims still mount on the hub. Not sure if that's a big deal for you or not but.. Not sure on the backspacing, but that body style's wheels typically have large backspacing... 5+", I believe..

The AWD and SRT8 versions have 5x115 the others are 5x114.3 (4.5) so they're pretty close. I'd check to make sure on the backspacing.

+25mm offset on a 7 inch rim. Doesn't this equals a 4.5" backspace. If so, I think that might work. I'm pretty sure other members are running 17" and 18" rims w/ 4.5" backspace.

Please chime in if I'm off my rocker. I'm just getting the feeling these will fit and look pretty sweet w/ some 235 or 245/45-17s.

So, the OEM Steel 17" wheels in the image above are 115? The ones I find on ebay say 114.3 or 4.5 bolt pattern. I'm prety sure the SRT8 and AWD wheels are aluminum and/or 18".

If they are 115, here's the math

.7mm = 0.027559 inches. Thats the difference between 114.3 and 115 bolt pattern.

Is this a big issue?
Will the lug nuts seat properly?
Will the wheel be centered?

Crap. Never dreamed finding a decent looking and cheap set of 17s would be such a task. I might just bite the bullet and buy a set locally for $120+ dollars and see how they fit.

I have a set of those wheels for my Demon. GDEMON is another member on the board running them as well. His are all done up an look like 17 inch ralleys. I pick min up for $300 bucks with almost new goodyears. Check Craigslist. I got mine just for the street and smokys.

AWESOME! Thanks, 72 Dart Swinger!

I just picked up a set of the 17X7 10 hole steel LX wheels for $50. It sounds like the worst case scenario, I'll need to buy spacers and longer wheel studs.

More than likely I'll have mine powder coated before I mount new tires. I'll post pics when all this is a wrap. Until then, I'll update when I test fit the rims w/o tires.

Aj408,

Thanks, found pics of gdemon's car. Very nice. Any pics of your car w/ these wheels?

So, the OEM Steel 17" wheels in the image above are 115? The ones I find on ebay say 114.3 or 4.5 bolt pattern. I'm prety sure the SRT8 and AWD wheels are aluminum and/or 18".

If they are 115, here's the math

.7mm = 0.027559 inches. Thats the difference between 114.3 and 115 bolt pattern.

Is this a big issue?
Will the lug nuts seat properly?
Will the wheel be centered?

Crap. Never dreamed finding a decent looking and cheap set of 17s would be such a task. I might just bite the bullet and buy a set locally for $120+ dollars and see how they fit.

I doesn't really make a difference, just was putting the "advertised" specs out there. We put a set of 20" SRT8 wheels on a 6 cylinder Challenger and they bolted up with no problems.

ive seen an ebody with them, he had them widened on the back. for what you can buy a set of mustang bullits im not sure if the lx wheels are such a good option.

i run the mustang bullits 17x8 with 5.72" backspace...they have a true 4.5" bolt circle...i bought mine for 300 bucks with tires half tread life....

I can attest, there is no fitment issues other than very tight (5/8") clearance in the rear between the inside edge of the rims and the leaf springs. However, nothing a spacer shouldn't cure. The clearance is tight in the front too, but there is no rubbing. The bolt pattern has to be 5X4.5. It fits too good...even better (closer tolerances) than my 14" rally wheels.

I'll post pics later, showing the details.

Rear wheel mounted.

rear17x7clearance2.jpg

Rear bolt spacing. I left a couple of the lug nuts off to show the fit. Keep in mind, I'm not using the correct lug nuts.

rear17x7clearance.jpg

Front wheel clearance.

front17x7clearance2.jpg

More front wheel clearance.

front17x7clearance.jpg

More pics to come

I'm using a set of these wheels on my Ford Ranger in the rear with a set of drag slicks mounted on them....... The bolt pattern on the new Chrysler wheels is 5 on 115mm, but they work just fine with the old LBP Dodge and Ford, I've been using them for well over a year now and have had no problems at all........

The bolt pattern has to be 5X4.5. It fits too good...even better (closer tolerances)

It is not, it is 5x115mm, yes it is close but not the same.

People have made them fit, both ways. But, you are still deflecting the studs with the conical lugs. Its up to you to use them or not.

I have a question. What's worse, my 14" rally wheels that have a crap ton of play sitting on the studs or these 17" steelies that slide right on the studs and sit centered on the hubs? I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm just wondering.

Also, if not conical lugs, what kind would be better. I'm assuming the flat washer type from some other posts I've read.

It is not, it is 5x115mm, yes it is close but not the same.

People have made them fit, both ways. But, you are still deflecting the studs with the conical lugs. Its up to you to use them or not.

Front wheel at full right lock.

front17x7clearance3.jpg

Front wheel at full left lock.

front17x7clearance4.jpg

Rear, view from back of the car.

front17x7clearance5.jpg

Rear, view from the front of the car.

rear17x7clearance4.jpg

Side view for good measure.

rear17x7clearance5.jpg

Glad I yanked the wheels off today. Sometime between 90 miles ago and today, the right rear tire decided to get funky.

badtire.jpg

I also posted in the above thread, and from my findings, the LX wheels are not 115. They are 114.3, per the gauges I tried on the wheels. I posted my theory as to why everyone seems to list the wheels as 115, but it's just a theory.

I'm convinced they are 114.3 or 4.5. And, from the search on RockAuto that I did, the SRT-8 uses the same hub as the base Charger, so I think they are 4.5" also. Don't remember about the AWD ones, though.

Thanks for all the input. This weekend I'm going to figure out what size spacers I need to fit the most tire without rubbing. I'll report back w/ my findings.

-
Back