Budget Aluminum Heads

-

d55dave

Reaction score
So I have decided to build my next engine. It will be a budget OG stroker - 400 block, 440 steel crank turned down to fit, Eagle H beam rods and Silvolite forged pistons. It will have a flat tappet solid cam in the .550 lift range and I would like to run it on pump premium as I drag and drive the car. I plan on 10.5: 1 to 11:1, the engine will go into my 49 Plymouth gasser. Hoping to put the car into the high to mid 11s.

My question is in regards to the heads. My back up plan is an old set of closed chamber big valve ported mid 60s heads that I have, however I am thinking an upgrade to new aluminum heads might be worthwhile.

From what I am seeing there are a few budget choices, but I am looking for real world experience on the Performance World 84210A (Performance World 84210A BB Mopar 220cc Cylinder Heads Complete (pair)) or the 440 source stealth aluminum head (https://store.440source.com/Stealth-Aluminum-Cylinder-Head-COMPLETE-SINGLE-HEAD/productinfo/200-1055/).

Has anyone used either of these? Are there any other budget minded aluminum heads that will support my 451 stroker and are better than my 50 year old iron heads?

Thanks for any help!

As a side note, if anyone has a low deck performer RPM or street dominator intake they want to sell let me know!

IMG_0104.jpeg

IMG_7192.jpeg

IMG_7920.jpeg

Be careful here, because Silvolite does not make a forged piston. The parent company, United Engine and Machine makes forged pistons, but under the Icon brand. They also make hypereutectic pistons under the brand name Keith Black (KB). So be extra careful when purchasing. If it's an individual telling you they have Silvolite forged pistons, run, because there's no such thing.

Also if I were building something similar, I think I would look at the 440 Source Stealth heads. Yes, there are "better" heads for a lot more money, but those are one heck of a big bang for the buck.

Awesome, thanks. My machinist, who is very reputable and builds lots of performance engines told me they were forged pistons. I will double check tomorrow.

Awesome, thanks. My machinist, who is very reputable and builds lots of performance engines told me they were forged pistons. I will double check tomorrow.
He may be lumping everything United Engine makes into "Silvolite". Some people do, but that's kinda misleading. I'm sure he's not doing it on purpose, but if you want forged pistons, I would certainly verify. If you can post a picture of the underside of the pistons, we can tell you if they are forged or not.

I bolted on my Stealth heads 8 years ago. Been great. Street car. Did an 11.7 at the track with 323 gear.

The PW head is the same casting as the Sidewinder head, and has been also sold thru a few other vendors here in the states(Speedmaster, Bruce Toth) as well as other countries.

In my mind, for your situation with the exchange rate and shipping charges involved, I’d use whichever one you can have in your possession for less $$$.

If the pics on the PW site are accurate, their version of that head gets the bowls and intake port openings cnc blended.

The assembled version comes with Comp 924 springs, which I don’t really care for myself.

Straight out of the box or did you have the heads gone over first?
Straight out of the box. Probably shouldn't do it that way. I did realize I needed a stronger valve spring with my Cam so I installed new springs after break in and bought the 10 degree locks and retainers which I would recommend.

I would wait for speedmasters black friday sale.....and try to get their Victor copies, cnc version, bare. (and MAYBE get the sm rockers for them too, good rockers from Hughes or Harland sharp are expensive!). I would guess they are capable of 150hp over stock iron 67 heads.
Sometimes their black friday deals can be amazing, IF the have something other than Ford and chevy parts......

So I have decided to build my next engine. It will be a budget OG stroker - 400 block, 440 steel crank turned down to fit, Eagle H beam rods and Silvolite forged pistons. It will have a flat tappet solid cam in the .550 lift range and I would like to run it on pump premium as I drag and drive the car. I plan on 10.5: 1 to 11:1, the engine will go into my 49 Plymouth gasser. Hoping to put the car into the high to mid 11s.

My question is in regards to the heads. My back up plan is an old set of closed chamber big valve ported mid 60s heads that I have, however I am thinking an upgrade to new aluminum heads might be worthwhile.

From what I am seeing there are a few budget choices, but I am looking for real world experience on the Performance World 84210A (Performance World 84210A BB Mopar 220cc Cylinder Heads Complete (pair)) or the 440 source stealth aluminum head (https://store.440source.com/Stealth-Aluminum-Cylinder-Head-COMPLETE-SINGLE-HEAD/productinfo/200-1055/).

Has anyone used either of these? Are there any other budget minded aluminum heads that will support my 451 stroker and are better than my 50 year old iron heads?

Thanks for any help!

As a side note, if anyone has a low deck performer RPM or street dominator intake they want to sell let me know!

Honestly, IMO, if you’re looking at the 440Source heads, spend the extra cash for the ported version that’s only a few bucks more.
320 cfm

Stealth Aluminum CNC Cylinder Heads - ASSEMBLED SINGLE HEAD

More food for thought;

STEALTH HEADS/ANYONE HAVE ANY FLOW NUMBERS

Thanks for any help!

View attachment 1716167173

View attachment 1716167174

View attachment 1716167175
There have been a lot of good comments about the Speedmaster small block heads. I don't remember much chat about the big block heads though. Worth checking out and they are on sale for Black Friday.

Current pricing is
$699/ea - unported
$999/ea - ported

They also now offer a HP valve job option for $299

The porting is no longer done at MCH.

Last edited:
As for maybe going on a different path towards the SM Victor copies………
If the focus is leaning towards “budget”, I’d stay away from heads that require offset rockers.

if you plan on 1.6 to 1 rockers on the exhaust as we did , 440 source heads must make more clearance for the push rods , even at 5/16 dia rods .

There is no denying that the TF240 is the leader in the “bang for the buck” category.
But…….if they’re not in your budget, then they’re not in your budget.

Any of the current crop of aftermarket BBM heads are more than capable of making enough power to reach the OP’s goals.
As are reworked stock heads……….it’s just that reworking stock heads can easily reach…….or exceed……the cost of a set of the entry level aftermarket heads.

I would look for 440source to possibly offer free shipping around Black Friday. They have in the past

People have made 700 plus HP from the Stealth and the E Street heads.

People have made 700 plus HP from the Stealth and the E Street heads.
when i looked at the e street heads compared to the more expensive 'normal' ones the only difference i could see was the valves etc used were more 'stock' style compared to more 'performance' oriented. the castings were the same as far as i could make out.
neil.

Here’s a head scratcher for ya……..
75cc e street - $1563
84cc e street - $2198

84cc rpm - $1853

It’s just dumb

-
Back