buffing scratches off glass

-

moparmat2000

Reaction score
I have some scratches on the rear window on my 67 coupe. Some were already there, however one i put in it with my DA sander. A couple small swirls.

Is there a way to remove these from the glass, or am i stuck with this unless i buy a new rear glass.

Anybody here buff out scratches on their glass before?

There is a buffing compound made for this. Thickness changing in the glass makes the view wavy so a front windshield isn't a good place to use it. Works good for side glasses and rear glasses though. It is a time consuming chore.

where the damage is its part of the window where the vision is distorted anyways. its at the top on the L/H side. apparantly 3M makes a glass buffing kit called trizact. as far as distortion is concerned, i have buffed out scratches on aircraft acrylic plastics. you have to buff out a large portion of the glass, not just where the scratch is otherwise it will distort. we put a paper grid pattern on the back side of the glass when sanding and buffing. if the glass is getting distorted you can see it on the grid.

i will probably buy one of these kits, as it can also buff out little spots from welding and grinding too, as well as hard water stains on glass.

I've polished scratches out with smooth top polish (for smooth top ranges). Lots of work and not a good idea for front glass but it will work.

well its a back glass, so i will attempt it eventually. just wanted to know itf there was something that could fix it. my fingernails drag a little in the scratches, but dont snag in them. windshield is cheap at $150 so i wouldent bother with trying to do this with a windshield.

yes Cerium oxide is the correct stuff. Works great on sand pitted windshields, even wiper scarred scratches. Wonder if you could fill the scratches with some optically correct star chip filler like from one of those kits and then maybe buff out? That stuff gets injected into cracks and really almost makes them disappear.

Wonder if you could fill the scratches with some optically correct star chip filler like from one of those kits and then maybe buff out? That stuff gets injected into cracks and really almost makes them disappear.
I tried that when I worked at a glass shop, didn't really work.

I remember reading that the old trick was to use krazy glue to fill scratches then smooth it out. Would hide scratches for a day or two (long enough to sell a car:D).

Eastwood sells a kit for like $70 that's supposed to work toward removing the deep scratches...I can't say if it actually works or not though

-
Back