build thread for jamies dart..:)

-
pinged, neutered it timing wise to help, fattened it up to help, only got 9 mpg, you smelled like exhaust after getting out of it. probably too small a cam for the compression. just got tired of messing with it. wanted something much more simple. can't get much more simple then the new engine. box stock 74 360 with a very mild cam.
I didn't knows that old engine was that bad, 9 mpg thats really bad. Good thing you had that other 360 laying around.

Got the same stock 360 set up with the next size larger MP cam - 3.23 gears.
Getting 17 MPG at 65 mph.
Get 18+ MPG cruising the farm roads @
45-55 mph.

Got the same stock 360 set up with the next size larger MP cam - 3.23 gears.
Getting 17 MPG at 65 mph.
Get 18+ MPG cruising the farm roads @
45-55 mph.

we have 3.23 gears in the dart. nice efficient 9.5" converter too.. 680 vac secondary carb. once we start driving it i'm sure i'll be able to tweak the carb more.. all i've done so far is take a little jet out of the primarys.

finished the car up today... needs a front end alignment before i can drive it... have hardware coming for the fan shroud to mount that properly and have to tighten the PS belt.

seems to run nice. i'm sure i'll dial the carb in some but man it starts right up, idles well and seem to have decent pep. can't wait to get this thing out on the road.

a recap on the updates done to the car:
fresh very mild 360
fresh low gearset 904
1.08 torsion bars (Mopar A Body Torsion Bar Set 1.08" - Bergman Auto Craft)
Delrin lower control arm pivot and bushing package (BAC Lower Control Arm Pivot and Bushing Package – Mopar A Body -)
Borgeson 14:1 steering box (BAC Steering Box Upgrade Master Kit - Bergman Auto Craft)
Bilstein Shocks all the way around.
i unexpectedly upgraded to 11.75 front brakes. my buddy had the set up laying around from his charger. he talked me onto changing to the larger brakes...

i hope this all makes the car a great cruiser. just moving it around the parking lot i can feel how much better the steering box is. took some time to save and collect parts, had this project kick my *** the last 5 or so days. glad its done and now i can just tinker with it hopefully.

only had a couple problems and that was with doing the new steering box swap.

first the little triangle piece that bolts tot he block needed the holes opened up because they didn't line up properly. if i hadn't already taken the old motor home i'd have used an original mopar bracket.. no big deal though. easy fix but figured I'd mention it incase someone else has the same thing happen.

the other problem was the pulley i received was totally wrong. didn't come close to lining up. luckily my buddy tom who restores Chevelle's for a living noticed that it looked like a chevelle pulley would line up. sure enough a 70 chevelle pulley lined up perfectly. i did call/text pete at Home - Bergman Auto Craft - Home of Quality Muscle Car Parts about the problem and he was great to deal with. he was on vacation and still took the time and conversed with me about the problem. was even going to overnight me some different brackets if that chevelle pulley didn't work. i had text him quite a few times during this update with questions about a few different things (probably me over thinking things)and he got right back to me and answered my stupid questions.... his awesome customer service was greatly appreciated.

crappy cell phone video:

View attachment 1716262179

Great sounding little 360. I know for some time you were considering EFI. Is that still the eventual goal, or did you decide against it?

Great sounding little 360. I know for some time you were considering EFI. Is that still the eventual goal, or did you decide against it?

undecided. the small holley is so simple and easy to repair if something happens its hard to go away from it. love efi, i even have the tank/pump set up new in the box but scared of the electronics and specialty parts associated with it. plus the kit and fuel system costs. i need to recover from this part of the project before thinking of anything else. now if someone wanted to give me a set up for testing and real world feed back I'd do that probably.

its something little and stupid but i had to do this. its been annoying for years so i finally broke down and bought the kit.

for a authentic mopar reproduction it sure fit like ****. i hate the fact that the lids on the repop ones open in the wrong direction. whatever though. it looks much better and has all the pieces now. :)

IMG_20240620_183951.jpg

IMG_20240620_183955.jpg

IMG_20240620_191229.jpg

IMG_20240620_191235.jpg

IMG_20240620_191238.jpg

6-21-24

so i messed around with the upper control arms today to get the wheels atleast somewhat in the right directions,, goes for alignment on thursday but i wanted to drive it....

idle is a bit high, easy fix, shifts too early, easy fix, alignment way off.. thats the bad...

the good is: the 11.75 front brakes are a huge difference.. way more then i expected. the steering box feels great even with the alignment out,, it is hissing dome so i'll call pete monday about that. the shocks are an incredible improvement.. with 1" bars, 130 pound rear springs and kyb shocks it would chatter and kinda move the car sideways over washboard type of bumps in the road if that makes sense... the car now has 1.08 bars, the same 130 pound rear springs and bilsiein shocks all the way around.. i hit those bumps right down the road from my house and noticed the differnce right away, i felt the washboard but the car stayed in place and didn;t jump around...

one of the things i'm really happy with is that the windshield washers work again...lol.. its something stupid but make sme happy.

oh, one more thing.. the exhaust dron is worse.. i'll drive it more and see how bad it really is.. may be in the market for different mufflers... hate muffler shopping.. never know what is gonna drone and what isn't..

-
Back