Building a 360, new cam, pushrod length?

-

screeminDemon

Reaction score
My project is a mostly stock 360, punched 30 over, w/ new stock dish pistons. New summit racing cam is 484 duration 480 lift. I'm planning to mill the heads (along with new valve job) .030 or .040 for a little extra compression. My heads are regular 360 with the 188 valves. Do I need to worry about pushrod length?
Thanks.

PS - I also plan to get beefier springs to match the cam as recommended by my machine shop.

My project is a mostly stock 360, punched 30 over, w/ new stock dish pistons. New summit racing cam is 484 duration 480 lift. I'm planning to mill the heads (along with new valve job) .030 or .040 for a little extra compression. My heads are regular 360 with the 188 valves. Do I need to worry about pushrod length?
Thanks.

PS - I also plan to get beefier springs to match the cam as recommended by my machine shop.

Talk to the shop also about what intake you plan on using milling the heads you may have an intake fit problim

LOL< Snake, what away to address a problem without answer the OE question! lOL Good catch though Snake

I'm planning to mill the heads (along with new valve job) .030 or .040 for a little extra compression. My heads are regular 360 with the 188 valves. Do I need to worry about pushrod length?
Thanks.

Yes, absouletly check the length needed. While the lifter should be ale to handle the head mill amount, yur also intro'd more duration and lift at the cam, so a check would be wise.

If you're trying to add compression, why the stock dish pistons? :dontknow:

But to answer your question, yes. If you take that much off the heads, you'll need to measure your pushrod length.

Going with a different set of pistons is probably a better option for gaining compression, if you're still at a stage where you can do that. Custom pushrods may set you back as much as $200, unless you find that you can use an off the shelf length. Add that to the cost of milling the heads (and the intake so it will fit), and spending more money on aftermarket pistons starts to look cheap.

That's the way wrong cam for what you want. One of the Whiplash cams from Hughes would be exactly what you need. They are designed to make great power with stock compression ratios. IMO, you're throwing your money away milling heads to get compression. You'd really have to mill about .080" off to see an appreciable difference. Proper camshaft selection will be critical for you.

Thanks for all the advice guys (and gals). The stock pistons were a mistake... I wish I would have gotten better advice from my machine shop, or discovered this website sooner. I wish I would have bought the KB107's but unfortunately I can't return the stock pistons I bought because the shop already installed them to the rods.

I've got to try and make the best of what I have now. I was thinking of a little head milling to at least make up for the fat blue felpro head gaskets I'm using, that otherwise may drop my compression into the 7's.

I really don't need this engine to be that powerful anyways since I plan to drive it every day, and its a light car 71 Demon. But of course I want the most power possible with all this money I'm spending.

I'm worried about the cam now too, since the book says this cam needs 9-1 compression.

Any other suggestions?

..............get the right piston, sell ur low comp set to offset the new cost........whip lash are pretty good........or maybe an extreme energy...........kim...........

I'm gonna look at some other camshafts as recommended by strokerscamp, and I'll consider what you're saying Kim about trying to sell my new stock pistons, but I just don't know if anyone will be willing to pay much for them, if at all.

I'm gonna have to make a tough decision on whether or not to eat a couple hundred bucks wasted on pistons, and just buy new ones. Then I also have to pay the machine shop to remove the rods... I don't know...

-
Back