Building a 360

-

Joseph24251_200

The Mopar Kid
Reaction score
Yo I'm about to put this 360 together next week and i just wanted to know is there any thing i many need to know beside basics before i start. Also what kind of assembly lub should i use for the main and rod bearings, and should i go with the windage tray (how much power will this gain). Let me know every thing I need to know. I'm going to get a lil help from my cousin, who has built many of Chevy, and Deseil motors but i wanna know more just in case cuz hits a Mopar mind block.

You can buy assembly lube. I've always just used white grease and straight 30W oil on the bearings. I use WD40 on the rings/bores. I alwyas stick in windage trays. I've heard postitve and negative, but it's something I've always felt good about. I'm told the MP trays are not very good on 360s..Milodins are better due to the areas that opil can escape from. The MP was designed for 3.31 stroke, not 3.58 was the logic. I still use them...lol. But you have to have the right main cap bolts for it if you dont already. Take you time. Measure everything (at least with plastigage). Turn it over after each main cap torquing. Make sure you "seat" the #3 cap and thrust surface. If after each rotation it feels fine, go to the next hole. If you feel any binding or tight spots, stop, take it apart and find out why. It's easier to address anything before you rush in an run it than after. And assembly is not a time for 5 buddys to visit and bring cocktails. You can caost yourself a fortune making a rookie error. So be on the lookout for stuff.

moper said:
And assembly is not a time for 5 buddys to visit and bring cocktails.

Hey I haven't had any luck building a motor unless I had been drinking. The last one I did was in my duster. The one night I didn't have a drink I put the bottom end together and had to pull it apart 3 days after I started driving it. Maybe just me though.

-
Back