Building a Break-in Stand or Swaping in Headers after Break-in?

-

fzmax

Reaction score
I think I know the answer to this, but figured it couldn't hurt to get other people's opinion. In the next few weeks I will be assembling my new engine. I also scored a new set of Doug's ceramic coated headers, which I don't want to ruin breaking in the engine. That leaves me two choices:

1) Install the engine with a set of exhaust manifolds, build some kind of exhaust system off the manifolds, break in the engine, then swap out the manifolds for headers.

or

2) Build a break in stand so I can run the engine outside of the car, then when I install it I only have to fight with exhaust in an early A-body once.

I have plenty of materials and tools, I can weld and put together everything necessary to build the stand, but would not likely use it again.

What would you do?

I'm building an engine break-in stand out of the frame rails, K Frame and trans crossmember from an early A Body. I'll fabricate a little control panel for ignition and gauges. I figure easy access to everything should there be an issue plus with slant and LA motor mounts,either engine can be installed. Could probably do a big block if needed.

Do you plan on doing more engine projects? That break in stand would come in handy later. It also makes finding and fixing leaks and other issues easier. You know all is good when the engine goes in the car.

If you are only doing this car, I would say stick the engine in and break it in. Then undo everything, jack the engine up and swap the headers in.

FWIW, I know there is an engine shop near me that offers break-in service on a stand. It might save you some effort to find one in your area that does the same.

Well, I've built a bunch of engines and cars over the years and this would be the first time I ever needed a break-in stand. It's also the first time I've spent that much on headers.

Project creep is probably what I am most afraid of in building a stand. It wouldn't take much to build something that would hold an engine and support the fuel, coolant, ignition and exhaust, but I could wind up with something like 65 Dartman is building.

On that same token, the engine is question was purchased to drop in the car while I build the 'real' engine for next year. Now lets just say the 'real' engine is going to have to be pretty damn hot. Once I get into things I can easily lose my way.

PA Dodger, I think you're right on. I'll just bite the bullet and break it in with manifolds and swap the headers in afterwards.

My suggestion was based on dropping one engine in and breaking in one engine. Now that you mention another engine, maybe the engine stand is the better option? Do you plan on using the exhaust manifolds again to break in the next new engine? Most coated header warranties are void if you break in a new engine with them. Headers in an A Body are never easy. Can the current engine run for the year with the exhaust manifolds?

Build your engine with a solid roller cam,no need for cam breakin.:cheers:and no discolored hedders.:D

My suggestion was based on dropping one engine in and breaking in one engine. Now that you mention another engine, maybe the engine stand is the better option? Do you plan on using the exhaust manifolds again to break in the next new engine? Most coated header warranties are void if you break in a new engine with them. Headers in an A Body are never easy. Can the current engine run for the year with the exhaust manifolds?

This one won't run well with manifolds, but even with having to swap them in twice it's still probably more work to build a stand.

Build your engine with a solid roller cam,no need for cam breakin.:cheers:and no discolored hedders.:iconbigg:

Well there's always that.

-
Back