Building a mild 440

-

44o gts dart

Reaction score
Hey guys , decision time, building a mild 440 for the street,,blue printed 1969 block, steel crank, 906 heads, headers,, 2800/3000 stall 727, 3:55 gear in 8 3/4, going into 69 dart… I am needing around a Lumpity, lumpity 450 horsepower,,,3000-maybe 5800 rpm range. Several questions??? Single or dual plane intake? Roller cam or hydraulics??? I don’t want to rebuild engine more than once.

Solid flat tappet cam with a duration @ .050 in the mid to upper 230's,Performer rpm or holley street dominator intake,and you didn't ask but unless your heads are well ported (or ready to run as is) find a set of aluminum heads to run.

You can get there with a hyd cam I just like solids for better performance provided you have or don't mind buying adjustable rockers.

The better the head flow the less cam you need for your numbers.

A good solid short block with a true 9.5 - 10.1 comp, bowl ported 906's,
cam spec similar to the Mopar 528, Edelbrock RPM topped with 750 and headers.
A nice easy 450hp combo and pretty tame.

If you want rumpity, rump put the 509 in it, but there are better cams and a Holley SD or Performer RPM. Edelbrock E street heads are reasonable at Summit, last I looked 1400 per pr.

A good solid short block with a true 9.5 - 10.1 comp, bowl ported 906's,
cam spec similar to the Mopar 528, Edelbrock RPM topped with 750 and headers.
A nice easy 450hp combo and pretty tame.
Solid flat tappet cam with a duration @ .050 in the mid to upper 230's,Performer rpm or holley street dominator intake,and you didn't ask but unless your heads are well ported (or ready to run as is) find a set of aluminum heads to run.

You can get there with a hyd cam I just like solids for better performance provided you have or don't mind buying adjustable rockers.

The better the head flow the less cam you need for your numbers.
Thanks,,, as always,, I was trying to get by with the 906 heads ,,,I wanna try to stay 10.1 compression,,,, but want a fast reliable engine

The 906s I had were 91cc so you would have to find a piston to get 10.1 and probably zero deck. Even at 9.1 in a Dart it would be fast. The 446 that was in my car whenever I bought was about 9.1 2266F pistons .074 in the hole 906 heads steel shim gaskets ,TeamG, 509 cam,3800 convertor and 391 in a 68 FB barracuda went 11.91 @ 111. With an SD or a Performer RPM or TM7 it would have probably been quicker.

The 906s I had were 91cc so you would have to find a piston to get 10.1 and probably zero deck. Even at 9.1 in a Dart it would be fast. The 446 that was in my car whenever I bought was about 9.1 2266F pistons .074 in the hole 906 heads steel shim gaskets ,TeamG, 509 cam,3800 convertor and 391 in a 68 FB barracuda went 11.91 @ 111. With an SD or a Performer RPM or TM7 it would have probably been quicker.
Wow,, that is fast…. I was hoping high 12’s

ummm.... it takes nowhere near 450 hp to run high 12's in a A-body. My Duster runs high 12's with 3.23's, stock converter, and a real mild 360 (no lumpity lump lump..lol)

ummm.... it takes nowhere near 450 hp to run high 12's in a A-body. My Duster runs high 12's with 3.23's, stock converter, and a real mild 360 (no lumpity lump lump..lol)
Well I really don’t plan to race it often but need it mainly for cruise and car shows , some burn outs , possible match races against my blow hard chev friends,,,,, it just has to be able to back it up

You need to find a copy of Don Dulamge's book "Old Reliable" and build that engine, but with streetable compression.

My 69 cuda ran 12.64 with 3:55 gears, full 3” exhaust, 2” headers, 10” converter and drag radials. The motor was .020 over, compression in the 10’s, 484/284 cam, pocket ported 906 heads, stock intake and 68 AVS carb. I only ever made 2 passes in the car it was 95 degrees out when I did it so the car was potentially faster than that had we played with the timing.

My 69 cuda ran 12.64 with 3:55 gears, full 3” exhaust, 2” headers, 10” converter and drag radials. The motor was .020 over, compression in the 10’s, 484/284 cam, pocket ported 906 heads, stock intake and 68 AVS carb. I only ever made 2 passes in the car it was 95 degrees out when I did it so the car was potentially faster than that had we played with the timing.
that’s a perfect combo and time,,,, mine I assume will be .030 over

that’s a perfect combo and time,,,, mine I assume will be .030 over
So you're having the short block work done now? Have you thought about getting a stroker kit? I know its $2,400 for it but if you're already doing the bottom end and can swing it its something I would consider... Generally speaking if I'm going low buck I'm doing bearing, rings, and dingle ball hone, whiplash cam from hughs to make it sound cool and help make some low end power then go have fun.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, it appears that some of Don's work was published in Chrysler Power. There's attachments (posted by Cudadoug) within this moparts thread that are downloadable jpgs.
Hope this helps
Anyone running the CH-28?

Turbo Action , Coan ,ATI. Buy a good one buy it once.
These are all great suggestions but my main fear is lifter failure on a flat tapper cam… roller cams are much more expensive… but can a flat tappet cam / lifter combo be trusted now a days…. I was a engine tech for decades and I never broke in cams nor worried about it ….granted this was 1974-2005,,,,,I have to believe that it is metal in lifters,,, unless all the oil company’s are all leaving a component out??

...... unless all the oil company’s are all leaving a component out??[/QUOTE]
OIL.
I prefer to run a high zinc oil, I have many flat tappet engines in my yard, I run either a diesel oil (15/40 Rotella) plus half a bottle of Lucas zinc additive, or VR-1 Valvoline oil (high zinc) if I can get it.

I don't want to start an oil debate, there are plenty of those, just saying what works for me.

don't be scared of a solid flat tappet cam

...... unless all the oil company’s are all leaving a component out??
OIL.
I prefer to run a high zinc oil, I have many flat tappet engines in my yard, I run either a diesel oil (15/40 Rotella) plus half a bottle of Lucas zinc additive, or VR-1 Valvoline oil (high zinc) if I can get it.

I don't want to start an oil debate, there are plenty of those, just saying what works for me.

don't be scared of a solid flat tappet cam[/QUOTE]
Then do a 20 minute 2000 rpm break in ?

Hey guys , decision time, building a mild 440 for the street,,blue printed 1969 block, steel crank, 906 heads, headers,, 2800/3000 stall 727, 3:55 gear in 8 3/4, going into 69 dart… I am needing around a Lumpity, lumpity 450 horsepower,,,3000-maybe 5800 rpm range. Several questions??? Single or dual plane intake? Roller cam or hydraulics??? I don’t want to rebuild engine more than once.

What you wish to do is impossible. Recline in your living room and watch a good movie.

-
Back