Building a monster

-

1974Monstee

Reaction score
Im looking to build a street/strip car that will beat up on the rice burners in town I have a 74 duster rolling shell I have a 318 for it and some mid to late 70s 360 heads off of an rv to go with it im only 20 so funds are limited what im asking is if its worth building a 318 with the 360 heads or would it be easier/cheaper to just get an la 360?

Mag 360 if you can swing it, lot of good upgrades, bought mine for $300 minus the front accessories at the junkyard. The bottom ends and rings go for-ev-er. Check the heads for cracks in between the valves. Might want to upgrade the cam with a regrind, from bullet cams or hughes, or something. Ran me $250 both ways from bullet. Landed me 450HP/TQ or so.

cheaper to get an LA 360. I wouldnt waste time on the 318 if your goal is to beat everyone.

Don't forget to price in a Trans/converter and if you have a 7 1/4 rear that's gonna have to go too. Might look into building a solid shortblock, 318/360, and use a little spray? Probably the most cost effective.

I have an 8 1/4 and the engine is just a short block and the heads are all there bit all that stuff was free thank you for the help

It would be cheapest to find a local, running, complete LA360 engine that you can hear run. If possible get it with the transmission from the same car, or possibly if you have the space the whole car. You'll pay a little extra for it and whatever towing is needed, but you bring it home knowing it runs decent, you have everything to make it run including the radiator and brackets/pulleys, etc, and it's a set of mounts away from bolting it in. That's the best and ultimately cheapest place to start. Some of my most fun and cheapest cars were built by buying a running donor car and picking everything I needed off it.

if it was free, run it while you save for a bigger motor. i have seen some amazing 318s as far as power goes. of coarse bigger is better but free is best as far as i am concerned. while you are enjoying the free motor you can then decide what your personal needs are. maybee a stroker?

look up 78 79 police motors, thats all they used was a 318 w/ 360 heads. they also used a special crank shaft ( shot peened). you will want to mill ur heads a bit to make up for the low compression pistons in the 318. good luck

"
What kind of power can I expect from my 318 with 360 heads as opposed to a 360? "

It will be similar, but less. The biggest issue with the 360 head 318 combo (and a problem with the factory versions of this) is the big open chamber kills the tatic compression, which in turn means it's harder to get a decent burn and it hurts response and low end. You will get more "monster" from the 360 head combo but I mean that in a bad way when compared to a set of factory 318 heads. If not, shop for a set of Engine Quest Magnums with the LA intake pattern and run them. They'll be cheaper than re-doing a set of 360 heads and running them.

-
Back