Bulk head fuseable wire.. "Smoked"

-

pdust70

70 Duster, Caretaker
Reaction score
Ok, ye ol mopar experts: Background- 70 duster - 340, in process of getting it finished. Son's car (he died of cancer 10 years ago this December)-latest issue. Alt. went out replaced it, in process I broke clip to one of the fields, in replacing it lost lock washer, recovered it but didn't see the insulator that was above it. Had lost of charging, w/o knowing what I did i drove it 60 miles and smoked the battery.. Replaced the battery, and insulator on alt. all systems go.. had orginal alt. rebuilt,replace rebuilt I purchased.
Today, all systems go, then eng. started to misfire, sounded like it was running on 3-4 cyl.'s, all stopped. No key, no lights, nothing dead in the water, with out the help of my son who put this thing back together.. In searching for problem I see the wire on main fire wall bulkhead disconnect (wire saying fuseable) is smoke..(hope to put picture) . thinking I have another complete eng. wire harness (no- just dash) my question is--
can one replace that wire and place a fuse in line, or just replace the wire as I believe it goes to the starter relay switch... I have not taken the wire wrap off the harness to view conditions. Second ?-- concerned about dash wireing too...
Because I cooked the battery with alt. putting out full amps., driving the car, almost 40 year old wires, what other issues should I be concerned with? I'm not a gifted as you all are just trying to keep a memory going so I can some day give this car to the friend of my son who helped him, but in the mean time enjoy the ride till I get too old to push in the clutch.. smoke the tires & listen to the tires.. I had the orginal dual point dist. replaced with "Proform- Chrysler ECU" distrubutor kit, some time ago by who I felt knew what he was doing... if that sheds any light?
Thanks again, I appreciate your help..
Care taker of a 70 -340 Duster-- DFW in memory of Michael F W. 10-28-75 to 12-01-1999

The fuseable linke recieved to much power and I'd bet the regulator may have been over charging. I just had this happen to me as well. In a pinch, I replaced the wire with a much thicker gauge and also needed to run it through the fire wall and bulk head because I had so much damage. When doing this, I also noticed the connectors where in bad shape. Also a bit small.

Now, on the fuse issue, I don't think a fuse is going to do it. I'm not an electrican, but the fuseable link is AMP sensitive and not so much current (Voltage) senesitive IIRC. (If I Remember Correctly)

I would not be to concerned about the rest of the wiring of the car and underdash. So long as the wireing harrnass isn't split open showing bare wires.

-
Back