Bullet proof A833?

-

67_Slimer

Real Hot Rods don't shift themselves.
Reaction score
I have a 67 Dart , pretty built 340 with a 4 speed. I'm looking to build a "bullet proof" A833 for it. I blew 3rd gear power shifting on the street (Damn you RAM paddle disc) and I replaced the tranny with a stock A833. I've been taking it easy as far as power shifting and dumping the clutch etc. because i don't want to grenade this one too. The transmission has an aluminum tail so I'm looking to build the internals so I don't have to worry. Any ideas of which gears etc.? Thanks in advance.

I would contact Wayne Brewer @ Brewers Performance. Wayne is a member here, there service is second to none.

gonna want the 18 spline input shaft and for power shifting it needs "slick shifting" mods!!! brewer can hook you up or you can research herb mccandless slick shifting mods and attempt doing them your self.... hope you love your self enuff to be using a scatter shield while power shifting that thang!

You can’t build a transmission strong enough to take that kind of abuse with that clutch. The clutch will break whatever you put behind it.

Call Advanced Clutches or Black Magic Clutches and have them hook you up. Grab your wallet because it’s not cheap to get the correct clutch.

Or, you can go to a rag disc and get a Clutch Tamer.

Either way, you have to get some way to control the hit of the clutch or you will keep breaking gear boxes.

gonna want the 18 spline input shaft and for power shifting it needs "slick shifting" mods!!! brewer can hook you up or you can research herb mccandless slick shifting mods and attempt doing them your self.... hope you love your self enuff to be using a scatter shield while power shifting that thang!
I don't think I'll need mods for shifting. When I say power shifting , I use the clutch but I don't ever lift the gas. Hence why my RAM clutch needs to be replaced , it just destroys everything in its way. Reason there is a Dana out back now Just want to be able to drive it like I want with no worries about breaking transmissions.

I don't think I'll need mods for shifting. When I say power shifting , I use the clutch but I don't ever lift the gas. Hence why my RAM clutch needs to be replaced , it just destroys everything in its way. Reason there is a Dana out back now Just want to be able to drive it like I want with no worries about breaking transmissions.
thats what the mods are for, to help trans live longer being used as such! dont belive me!!! go ahead and call brewers or herbs shop in burlington nc his family still runs it, and ask them if you need the mods!!

thats what the mods are for, to help trans live longer being used as such! dont belive me!!! go ahead and call brewers or herbs shop in burlington nc his family still runs it, and ask them if you need the mods!!
Not saying I don't believe you but I'm thinking its my clutch more than anything. I planned on calling them to see my options. I was destroying 8 3/4 rears now that the dana is in , seems like the tyranny's are the weak link. I'll talk with them this week. Thank you for everyone's input.

Not saying I don't believe you but I'm thinking its my clutch more than anything. I planned on calling them to see my options. I was destroying 8 3/4 rears now that the dana is in , seems like the tyranny's are the weak link. I'll talk with them this week. Thank you for everyone's input.
yup, trannys the next weak link! the mods will help it live longer, go ahead and ask them what your next step should be, a tuffer trans i bet, but now days idk witch ones be better! back in the super stock days thay stepped up to the slush box thay called it, what ever that was!!

yup, trannys the next weak link! the mods will help it live longer, go ahead and ask them what your next step should be, a tuffer trans i bet, but now days idk witch ones be better! back in the super stock days thay stepped up to the slush box thay called it, what ever that was!!
Well the car is 99.9% street driven so I need it to be able for that. I smoked 3rd on street tires last time!!

I have a clutch car, for years ran a mcloed long/b&b at 1600 base pressure plate and series 300 disc, worked great, now have mcloed softloc clutch, with sintered iron disc. base is 625, with c/w on fingers, it's made to slip some doesn't hit as hard .you have wrong clutch setup. center force also is a parts beaker. soften up pressure plate , and different disc. just food for thought, call mcloed and discuss clutch setup.

"Not lifting off the gas during a shift", I'd recommend going to Liberty and getting the face plated set-up. Synchro's slow the shift down too much and make it weaker overall.

"Not lifting off the gas during a shift", I'd recommend going to Liberty and getting the face plated set-up. Synchro's slow the shift down too much and make it weaker overall.
Awesome. I'll look into that. Yeah , that's how I race , never lift. Good ol shifting.

exactly! that's basically what the "slick shift mods" do,..grind off every other tooth on the synchronizer's! use to power shift mine at 7500 rpms no clutch/never lifting off gas never broke nothing, with a hays flywheel and old stiff peddle zoom clutch and pressure plate!

Face plated hemi box would probably be the hot ticket for a 340. Should live ok as that little engine shouldn’t really stress out a properly built trans. Big Torque and traction will kill them, this one was behind my 500ci hemi and even had a Hyatt built soft loc. it was fun for a few passes.. I was going easy on it trying to get the clutch dialed. This was trans #2. I didn’t have the money to go Jerico at the time so it’s had a TF now for 15 years.
IMG_3158.jpeg

Seriously; you broke third gear on the street?
For my street car that 2-3 shift is at like 85mph and the tires are still spinning;
What's your traction secret?
You gotta have more than them slapper bars.......

Seriously; you broke third gear on the street?
For my street car that 2-3 shift is at like 85mph and the tires are still spinning;
What's your traction secret?
You gotta have more than them slapper bars.......
Cal Tracs and some M/T ET streets. The RAM clutch is what destroys everything. Here's a picture of 3rd gear.

20231219_220617.jpg

I street drive my face plated a833 often during dry weather. We also attend an acceleration contest 5-10 times a year. Usually weekend deals where I run the car to test Friday and then run the rest of the weekend in competition with other like minded enthusiasts. Typically I will make 14-20 passes over a weekend if the car and I are seeing eye to eye.

It has an all aluminum 18 spline a833 with 9310 face plated speed gears from Liberty. Clutch is a Ram powergrip HD with a modified clutch tamer. Most recenty I have gone 1.63 60' on an unprepped surface n/a. Car is much faster with nitrous. Tires are 235-60-14 M&H muscle car bias ply street tires. We run about 13 psi in them. So far everytning has looked good in the transmission during annual maintenance. You will find that the face plates are HARD always look new. The typical/intended wear item is the 1-2 and 3-4 sliders. They are also HARD . My fist attemp at dressing the slider clutching lugs killed an expensive file. I found it much easier to dress them using an indexer to position things in small mill.

Tire shake/chatter really messes things up I can tell you that. I killed the rear bearing inner race from rattling the drivetrain appling the nitrous too quickly on the progressive. Also killed the rear transmission mount getting a little over the top trying to dry out my late at a no prep deal. Came out of the slop about 60' mark in high gear and shook the tires. It takes a bit to do that as the shocks are set full stiff for bottle throttle.

I suggest calling Liberty and getting on the waiting list for a set of 9310 18 spline face plated speed gears. If not that route find a G Force g101a or call G Force and drop 6k (with shifter). You will easily drop 4-5k building an all aluminum face plated a833.

My next dumb idea is to rollerize my tailshaft. Should have stuck to wood working!

FB_IMG_1690945863519.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back