bump steer

-

737jetdr

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
has anyone used bump steer studs and heim joints on the tie rods to correct bump steer?

The Hotchkis Tie rods come with them.

I've done it to the circle track cars I help with. But not my car.

To make the bump steer adjustments you have to get a shim kit and a bump steer gauge:

Shim Kit: http://www.quickcar.net/chassis/ch_bsshim.html

P0002494.jpg

Bump Steer Gauge: http://www.speedwaymotors.com/DECO-...eBase&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=GoogleBase

91082700_L.jpg

Thanks autox. I've done a lot of work to my 67 Dart and it seems to handle well except for the bumpsteer. When I go over a rise in the road the suspension unloads. When it loads up again it pushes my front end to the left. I was looking at the Hotchkis tie rods. They look like nice pieces.

I assume you've had an alignment recently. And checked the suspension parts. Especially the idler arm. That 67 idler is one year only stud mounted.

I have seen people put in the 68-72 idler using a thru bolt. That might cause issues.

Buying the tie rods won't do anything to correct the bumpsteer IF it's bad, unless you check and change the shims.

both idler and pitman arms are new. mine has the thru bolt. maybe my k frame has been changed. I have 11/16" firm feel tie rods, cap auto adjustable ucas and cap adjust strut rods. all ball joints are new. current alignment setting is 3degree caster, -1 camber, 1/16 toe in, lcas have been rebuilt and new firm feel 1" torsion bars. 73+ spindles and brakes. 1 1/16 front swaybar. hole in k frame for the idler hasn't been modified.

both idler and pitman arms are new. mine has the thru bolt. maybe my k frame has been changed. I have 11/16" firm feel tie rods, cap auto adjustable ucas and cap adjust strut rods. all ball joints are new. current alignment setting is 3degree caster, -1 camber, 1/16 toe in, lcas have been rebuilt and new firm feel 1" torsion bars. 73+ spindles and brakes. 1 1/16 front swaybar. hole in k frame for the idler hasn't been modified.

When you say thru bolt, does it have a mount with a hole in it on the top and bottom of the idler?

The basic alighnment numbers look good. Did it drive like that before you did all those upgrades.

The car has been off the road so long I can't say for sure if it did or not.My idler has a long bolt that goes thru from top to bottom with a nut and a washer. Now that I look at my steering geometry it looks like my outer tie rod on the passenger side sits lower than on the drivers side and at a slightly different angle. Maybe that is my problem.

The car has been off the road so long I can't say for sure if it did or not.My idler has a long bolt that goes thru from top to bottom with a nut and a washer. Now that I look at my steering geometry it looks like my outer tie rod on the passenger side sits lower than on the drivers side and at a slightly different angle. Maybe that is my problem.

Is you center link level to the ground.

No . It's lower on the passenger side. guess I never noticed it before. When i bought the car I drove it back to Indiana from Portland,Or. but the front suspension and steering linkage had so much play in it I never noticed the bump steer until now. I ordered a 67 idler arm. Hopefully it will cure my problems.

No . It's lower on the passenger side. guess I never noticed it before. When i bought the car I drove it back to Indiana from Portland,Or. but the front suspension and steering linkage had so much play in it I never noticed the bump steer until now. I ordered a 67 idler arm. Hopefully it will cure my problems.

Are you sure you have a 67 K-member?.

This is a 68-72 A-body small block K-member (the 383 K-member has the same exact idler to K-member setup):

KMember%20A67%20V8.jpg

This is a 73-76 A-body small block V-8 K-member

KMember%2073&Up%20V8.jpg

this is what the 67 A-body idler looks like. Is this on your car now?

Mopar-67-Barracuda-Dart-(only)Idler-Arm-for-sale_330524849961.jpg

My K member doesn't have the box welded on for the idler arm, just a tab and that is the idler arm that I ordered for my car. Apparently the previous owner put a 68 idler arm on my car and I didn't know there was a difference. I wish mine had a 68 k member. It looks like a much stronger setup than what I have.

I wish mine had a 68 k member. It looks like a much stronger setup than what I have.

Well heck you done so much why stop now? I would keep an eye on ebay--or here for a nice K 68 member or even 73-76 if it fits. Then when you can change it and sell your old K member The bushings should be changed any how, LOL

-
Back