Bumpers "To paint or not to paint" this is the question ?

-

Sport 360

MOPAR Lover
Reaction score
Can't decide if I should paint my bumpers the same color as the car or leave them chrome. (car is in for paint next month and will be "tor red" orange). I have had them painted in the past on other cars but that was a long time ago and the paint shop I used has moved on.
Does anyone have any good tips for painting them ?? I know they should be sanded with about an 80 grit paper then an etching primer is used. Does this sound correct ??
Thanks for any input :cheers:

Personally....I prefer chrome. Mine is painted black only because when I bought the car they were that way. I have gotten used to them being painted but as soon as I can they will be re-chromed. Personal preference I guess, and for your question they can be sanded with anything from 180 to 80 grit according to the shape they are in. Definitely a urathane self etching primer must be used. I have had to repaint mine because they were not done correctly, they were done in flat black and I changed them to satin black.

Chrome.

It's a muscle car for crying out loud. If the bumper isn't fiberglass for drag racing, it should be chrome.

If they are in particularly bad shape, paint can get you by until you can afford to rechrome. Whenever I see a street car with paint, I assume the owner is waiting on chrome funds. Kind of like driving the car in primer.

If the chrome is good, leave em chrome. Maybe you could get a junk set and paint em that way you can try it both ways. That's what I was gonna do on my dart

I guess it depends on the direction one is going with his or her car. On a car such as the one in swisswill's avitar, painted bumpers might be the perfect touch. But on a stock appearing car, I feel it's a cheap way out, and would stick with the chrome.

I guess it depends on the direction one is going with his or her car. On a car such as the one in swisswill's avitar, painted bumpers might be the perfect touch. But on a stock appearing car, I feel it's a cheap way out, and would stick with the chrome.

I have to agree with you on this. If you are keeping a mostly stock look I think the chrome is the way to go.

In spite of the direction I am going, if its going to be a stock appearing car chrome is the way to go.
Andrew

Like someone said, depends on what look you want and how the car is set up. Even if it stock or modified. Its all up to what you want.

Attachments

• pittsraceway3.JPG
    106.7 KB · Views: 204
With the color you have chosen, painted bumpers look good (body color of course). Plus, I here that chroming is rediculously expensive up in Canada

I too have thought about going with a gomango painted bumper to match the color of my car. Tucking the bumper as close to the front end as is reasonable. I wish I had more pics to look at before I did this. Seems like I did see a yellow Challenger that had the bumper painted. It looked nice. Sometimes its nice to be unique and use your taste to stand out from the crowd.

Adding to original post. I've had painted fibreglass fenders and I liked the look. Now have a car with straight bumpers but bad chrome and will be painting them this winter. My bumper does have some flaking of the chrome, best way to get rid of all the chrome on my own?

if they bother you paint them or wait until you have the funding to chrome them just my 2 cents worth

I prefer chrome but like these on my Demon painted body color

Attachments

• 71Demon 001.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 188
  • 71Demon 002.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 169
I prefer chrome too. If going to be painted,it's gotta match the body color.

Well it seems the majority says chrome. They are in decent shape, faded but no rust or peeling. To re-chrome here it is $1000 per bumper, thats why I am wavering on my decision. I had 67 Coronet R/T that I had the them painted on and it looked great, they were in fine condition too but I just liked the look. I am painting the Dart the same color as the Coronet R/T. Two grand goes a long way and helps take the sting out of the paint price ! I sure appreciate the idea of the originality as this is a low mileage numbers matching Dart Sport 360. I am told the production numbers for this year and model is just 1043. The car was parked in a garage since 1985.
Here is a link to some of the work done on it:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLzm-LrEbwA"]YouTube - 75 Dodge Dart Sport 360 Project[/ame]

Attachments

• CCF02042008_00007.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 137
  • DSC08726.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 124
  • DSC08945.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 123
Sorry, "old school" here. I've seen very few of these cars where I thought that "painted works."

-
Back