burn out question

-

MyBlueCuda

Reaction score
A lot of the guys at the Mid America Raceway Park website are saying to never do a burn out in first gear. They say I should do it in second or my trans. will blow up. I've got a 408 stroker with a 3200 rpm stall 727. It's not a manual valve body. The car is in storage now so I can't at the moment say if it will start out in first or second if I put the trans. in the 2nd position. I just got the car done last October so I only raced it 3 times and had no problems with it doing burn outs in first. So I'm asking for opinions on what I should do about this little problem before I have a big problem! Thanks....

Check out the powertrain thread,there is a spot dedicated to this,good luck.

Hi BlueCuda. If your have a manual valvebody, you can start out in 2nd. So doing burnouts in 2nd won't be a problem for you. I think the real issue is manual valvebodies that do not have lowband applied, but as Abodybomber noted, there's a ton of info from the experience members. (I know cause I had the same questions :icon_smi:)

Start in first and click it to second right away as the tires start spinning. The Danger is first gear and having something in your driveline let loose. Even launching of the line in low gear has it's dangers with broken driveline stuff.

It's first gear or get a Low Band Apply valve body which helps. This is really only an issue with 727's.

Another way to solve it is put a 904 in it!

I always start my burnout in 2nd gear,shifting to 3rd.I have a 904 with the lower 1st gear added,manual VB,racing belts,clutches.I also have a 4500 8 inch stall,so revs up quick.If racing your car on a regular basis,might be time to add some trans upgrades.good luck.

guess you seen that pic i posted on marpark,net,yes never do a burn out in first,always in 2nd,then go to 3rd,count to 5 and let it pull itself out,then go directly to the line,the problems start with the sprag and then it moves forward and tears up other stuck,my tranny last year took a dump at gateways line,and im a vetrean bracket racer,also never do a dry hop in 1st,and if you want to punch it on the street in 1st,get rolling then punch it

They are right. Burnouts in second not first.

With a full auto trans I put the shifter in second gear and start slow so it shifts into second pretty quick

my blue cuda,hope your ready to race at gateway and there having a mopar spring fling june 8-10,like a monster mopar

..............If ur running a 727 with stock vb or with a shift kit u will need to do ur burnout in manual low, which means ur shifter is in 1st..........which applys the rear band.....the problem isn't doing the b o in 1st, when u shift to 2nd the overrunning clutch[sprag] starts to free wheel.......it has nothing to slow it down and stop b 4 the wheels grab traction, the problem is then the tranny shifts back to 1st placing extreme loading on the sprag.........moral of the story is if u dont have a manual vb u do ur b o in 1st only, no upshifting..........kim.......

Is this the rule for big block 727's also?? I have been doing 1st gear burnouts in my GTX for years now with no trouble!! As Kimmer said, I stay in first for my burnouts, but sometimes will race out of drive for the auto shift!! Geof

-
Back