Burning real rich after winter storage

-

74 360 dart sport

Reaction score
Hi everyone I have a a 360 stroker motor with a 750 quickfuel double pump carburetor it ran real good it has been stored in a heated garage over the winter I started it up and drove it about 4 miles at a steady throttle it surges like it is loading up then a little tap on the throttle it gets smoother when it is wot it runs strong at idle it will make your eyes tear up because it is so rich what could have happened or any suggestions would be greatly appreciated thank you Tom

Is the choke open? Is the carb bleeding over?

My bet is a faulty needle and seat that is causing very high gas levels in the float bowl or bowls.

**** gas cooked your power valve... If your eyes are tearing up it's actually running lean...

needle seat
tap the float bowls a couple times
take it out and mat it a few times

Stale gas?
If this is the same gas that was in the car when you parked it, the gasoline has lost it's punch.
Gasoline evaporates much faster today than it did 20 years ago. What evaporates first is the parts of the gas that give it octane. As gas evaporates, it gets thicker and darker in color. Gas here in CA will go from mostly clear to yellow, followed by orange. I've had this happen to a few of my junkers and the color of fuel seen though the clear filters has been this way many times.
I ran through the bad gas and poured in fresh Premium fuel and it ran right again.

I checked the choke and it is still wired open no mouse nests but my battery was only 75% charged I think my bypass of my ballast resistor is still not right I charged my battery before starting it this spring and yes it is the premium non oxygenated gas from last fall I will see what happens after charging the battery thank's for the responses Tom

Try some punctuation next time you post here too.....

1 laugh 3.jpg

1 laugh.jpg

^^There goes the Ca. grammar cops...again!!!!

Mom said "buy low and sell high." Then she said better yet "son, move to Ca. where you can learn to read and write like all the smart people"! :poke:
:rofl: :thumbsup: :steering::steering::steering::steering::steering::steering:

**** gas cooked your power valve... If your eyes are tearing up it's actually running lean...
What do you mean? I'm genuinely curious. Why would a lean condition cause eye watering? I've always thought and experienced that with too much fuel.

What do you mean? I'm genuinely curious. Why would a lean condition cause eye watering? I've always thought and experienced that with too much fuel.
All I know for certain is when I got my Bee running after many years of storage it would burn your eyeballs right out. LEAN.... LEAN ..LEAN with power valve dried right out and non functional. Idle circuits probably clogged as well. Goggle "exhaust burning my eyes out lean or rich" and you can read for most of the week. Lean is worse for it than rich..

Last edited:
Ok I checked the choke that is all good no nests I pulled plugs and they show the engine is running very rich some cylinders more then others so i replaced all plugs started up good but running rich so i checked my timing on operating temperature it is 34 degrees at 3000 rpm that is perfect I read on my carburetor manual that fuel pressure is to be at 6.5lbs it was at 7.5 so I adjusted it to 6.5 the front float glass sight shows the front bowl is right on the rear float was a little rich so I messed up on the adjustment and went to rich so I adjusted it to lean it out I got very low on blood sugar wife found me on the floor in the garage so took care of that went back out don't know what I did but I cannot get fuel in the sight glass now the nut just keeps turning and turning I loosen the Phillips head then hold that with screw driver and turn the 5/8 nut counter clockwise what did I mess up thank you Tom

If you screwed the needle/seat down so far that the nut isn't engaged with the flats any more, it'll just spin without changing the level...

I want to thank everyone for the responses I finally got it running excellent I readjusted the floats the 4 corners on the carb ended up taking front and rear floats off sprayed with carb cleaner checked timing and now it is ready for the summer thanks everyone Tom

-
Back