Burnout gears

-

BlindFury70

383Duster
Reaction score
Hey, I've heard a few different things on this subject but what gear is best to do a burnout in? I've heard 1st is ok, 2nd is better and I'm just curious what you guys think.
I've got a 3spd Reverse Valve Body. Thanks.

If you're careful you can start out in first. You simply need to be careful and do your burnout INTO or through second gear. Most everyone does it in second. The reason is because if the car hooks up on the 1-2 shift, the transmission can rip the overrunning clutch out of the back of the case. This can cause a severe transmission malady and even explode the transmission. Since you have a manual valve body, it would be best to do your burnout in 2nd gear.

I always start mine in second then shift to drive when I run out of RPM. Then let go of the line lock and plop down 50 or 60 feet of black. You don't want to over rev the engine, I usually keep mine in the mid rpm range when doing a burnout.

Reverse manual valve body, START in second for your burnout.

No sense in risking damage by starting in 1st.

I always start mine in second then shift to drive when I run out of RPM. Then let go of the line lock and plop down 50 or 60 feet of black. You don't want to over rev the engine, I usually keep mine in the mid rpm range when doing a burnout.
Maybe putting a tach with shift-light or rev-limiter(MSD 6-AL box)will help avoid over-revving.

I always do my burnout in 2nd gear,shifting to 3rd.I also have the lower 1st gear in my 904.:mrgreen:

The chebbie boys always asked why it sounded like I was in 2nd doin my burnout. I told them I was showin off. LMAO

I do mine by first engaging the line lock with a bhard push on the brakes. Then I start in 1st gear to get the 255 tires warmed up and then go to second and keep them spinning till the smoke gets going well (windows down, drivers side wing vent flipped backwards). Once the smoke is just right I release the line lock and stand on it. Usually run 5600-6000 in second as the car accellerates madly. leaves about 100 feet of SG equallized black. The trick is keeping the car straight as it launches and accellerates. Many times I have to abort as the car start heading toward the ditch.

It is funny how many other guys come around and do burnouts next to or on top of the one that I lay down. They usually fall short but there is someone who also knows how to decorate the road and his tire marks are a little wider.

Call my street "burnout boulevard". I need a stroker so I can let that poor little 340 have a rest.

Maybe putting a tach with shift-light or rev-limiter(MSD 6-AL box)will help avoid over-revving.

I always do my burnout in 2nd gear,shifting to 3rd.I also have the lower 1st gear in my 904.:mrgreen:

I have a tack with shift light, I just keep my rpm mid-range through second (around 3500) then shift to third come back up on the rpm and let go of the line lock, and away we go!

My perspective if we are talking about a burn-out at the track using slicks.... my routine is this (600hp 351ci reverse manual C4) starting in 1st gear with the line lock set, ease into the throttle to get the tires rolling. and do the burn out thru 2nd and into high gear, get 'em boilin' and roll out of the water staying on the loud pedal. With slicks you're doing the burn out to clean and heat the tires. The cleaning is easy and you need the tire speed to heat them up so they're good and sticky, rolling out of the water at speed will then also dry them off. Don't want to be tryin' to leave hard on wet slicks! When I raced my 4-speed car, I did the burnout in 3rd gear for all the same reasons.

The chebbie boys always asked why it sounded like I was in 2nd doin my burnout. I told them I was showin off. LMAO

^^^This LMAO when I street/grudge race my car i do a burn out (in prep) from 2nd to 3rd gear and keep it around 4500rpm with 4.56 gear, sounds like it's struggling then a friend of mine will tell someone with the other car "see it don't make any power" . . . lol usually works and I get a few laughs :finga:

Never do burn outs starting in first gear, If this is a street car, and your not in a burn out box like at the track, and your on dry pavment, as soon at you can, shift to 2nd and then 3rd. If you get the tires spinning and then the car hooks, wile in 1st gear, you can damage the sprag, and we all know what will happen to you trans after a sprag fails.........Kboom.

The reason is because if the car hooks up on the 1-2 shift, the transmission can rip the overrunning clutch out of the back of the case.

are you sure this is correct? i don't know but for some reason i thought that when the tires are spinning in 1st gear the sprag is over running and if it hooks the tire that is when the rollers are jammed into the race and that's when it brakes it.

are you sure this is correct? i don't know but for some reason i thought that when the tires are spinning in 1st gear the sprag is over running and if it hooks the tire that is when the rollers are jammed into the race and that's when it brakes it.

Pretty positive. There's a sticky about "Exploding Torqflites" around here somewhere that explains it very well. The MP chassis book also goes into quite a good depth about it. They say the same thing. I am sure you're right though. It can happen either way.

................The reasoning behind the 2nd gear burnouts is that on a factory type auto shift vb is that when ur in 1st gear[on the shifter] the low band is applied, when u shift up to 2nd, 1st band releases, 2nd applies, then tires grab, trans shifts back to 1st with out the 1st gear band appling, all the load is on the sprag which can and will tear out the sprag..........if u have a low band apply manual shift kit, u dont really have the worry as the rear band will cushion the shock....but the chance is still there for an explosion......on the older non rear band apply rmv bodies the whole load is on the sprag in 1st wheather u r leaving the line or burning out......there is absolutely nothing to help out the sprag......and yes for safety sake[and yours] start ur burnout in 2nd....hope this helps........kim......

-
Back