Bushing on shaft under mechanical advance?

-

CudaDust

Under Construction
Reaction score
Is there supposed to be a bushing on the distributor shaft underneath the mechanical advance mechanism? I have about a 1/4 inch of play and the advance mechanism has wore a groove in the bottom inside the distributor housing. When I was moving the distributor around before I was going to drop in rebuilt motor piece of plastic fell out. So I disassembled and found groves and noticed up and down play. Sorry no pics:(

I'm thinking we all got lucky here. You wont be putting a worn out distributer in this reman'd engine. The rest of us wont be trying to help determine why the heck it don't start or run right.

There is a white nylon bushing under the "top hat" piece of mechanical advance which may be what you found but I don't think that would create the play you are talking about. Sounds like maybe your dizzy is just wore out. Dennis

Here is a pic the play was up and down.There was no side to side or wobble.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 243
Cleaned it up. Guess I mite as we'll clean and rebuild.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 222
Unless you want to play machinist, you are done with that dist. You "used to" be able to buy dist. bushing kits and they used to be cheap, but you needed a special burnishing tool to install them. Before I went to a hemi dual point and later in life went to breakerless, I used to keep about 3 of those kits in the trunk. Hell back in the day, they were about 3-5 bucks at the dealer. If I'd known they'd become extinct, I'd 'a bought a buuilliouuun of 'em as Carl Sagon woul'ha said

Here's an excerpt from the '69 shop manual

Attachments

• bushing1.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 222
  • bushing2.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 209
Off to the scrap yard it goes Thanks for the info.Sucks that you cannot get simple stuff like that anymore:protest:

From the looks of the shaft, a bushing kit would probably have done you no good, anyhow.

Don't toss the weights and parts, a few of us, crackedback, even me, might use em. You can weld up the slots and use 'em for a "recurve" What's the thing stamped on the bottom, a number? That would be the advance

This one is 15, that is distributor degrees, so that's 30 at the crank, a long, slow "smog" distributor

mopp_0301_08_z+mopar_electronic_ignition_system+advance_plate.jpg

It has a 17 on that part was going to keep the rod just get rid of the housing. Figure I could get it welded up and the Mr. Gasket spring kit on it so the advance come in when I want it.Have to see if the other dizzy in my 75 part parts(someone sawed in half with saws all) dart is good.See what you were talking about on the shaft riding on top of the brass bushing in the housing. Thanks for your help 67 dart 273. !!

So if 15 is slow that would make 17 really slow right? I guess the day of taking your distributor in and having the guy put it on the I think it was the Sunn machine. Remember it was red when I went with my dad on his 70 RR distributor for him to get it recurved? To make sure the dual points and dwell we're set right. It is dwell right been awhile. Thanks for the info love this site.

Slow was a poor term. "Long" would have been better, but "Long and slow" came along with each other in the "smogger" days. They came with a strong spring that didn't allow much advance, and a "STRONGER" spring that had a huge slack eye in one end that allowed one spring to allow "some" advance and then the "slack eye" STOPPED the advance until very high RPM

You can see a couple of these at the far right in the photo below

MVC-006E.JPG

You can most certainly weld those up and recurve them. Here's a chart somebody......may crackedback drummed up........that shows approximate slot dimensions to advance degrees. These are in distributor degrees

Dimensions for Mopar distributor slots, in DISTRIBUTOR degrees

Modifying advance slots
degrees / slot size
6.............. .340
11.5 ...........420

I've actually got an Allen distributor machine if I ever get it back together...........

Check out the thread, I'm using parts of a Mopar distributor to trigger the tach circuit on the thing

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=216539

attachment.php

Checked out your thread on the Allen that is way cool! Think the one the guy used for my dads 70 RR was just like the Sun one on post twelve of your thread but that was 35 years ago and I was just a kid. Thanks for the picks of the springs and the deminsions of the slots save me the time of using the search thread tool.

-
Back