Bushings and shock upgrades for 74 Dart Sport?

-

1mopar4life

Reaction score
I'm in the process of upgrading to disc front brakes and while I have it torn down I'd like to replace the bushings and shocks all the way around. I'm wanting to stay under $400 on it. I've been looking at the energy suspension bushing kit for it. Does it come with everything I need? What kit would be better for the money? What about shocks? Id like to have a stiffer shock to make it handle better but still ride good. Its a DD so I can't get too wild. Thanks for the help guys.

Happy with my KYB's as well. You can also just get the bushings you need from Moog on rockauto pretty dang cheap.

i just put on the energy bushings ,so far very happy , tightened up steering and suspension . Did not use the LCA bushing though , used stock MOOG lca bushing .
As for shocks kyb will give you a harsh ride , I use ordinary gas shocks , handles fine , car does not lean in turns , no bounce on rolling bumps and not as harsh a ride as KYB . Of course I don't race the car just drive it for fun , the occasional blast on deserted back roads

Thanks for the insight. Did your Energy kit come with all the bushings? I trying to make sure I have every single thing ready to go in when I tear it down. I went by Autozone and they were trying to sell me some Edelbrock shocks for it. Are they worth buying? I'll probably go with KYB shocks if I can get them cheaper.

ive never used the edelbrock shocks....id stay with what i know...kyb. not sure about the energy suspension kit but heres a list of the components youll need:

upper & lower control arm bushings
upper & lower ball joints (if your using disc brake from a 73-up Abody, make sure to get the upper and lower ball joints for that year car)
inner & outer tie rod ends

(a good upgrade for these is to run the larger C-body tie rod ends with the corresponding adjusting sleeves, instead of the A-bodies 9/16, they are 11/16)

strut rod bushings
pitman arm
idler arm

Thanks for the insight. Did your Energy kit come with all the bushings? I trying to make sure I have every single thing ready to go in when I tear it down. I went by Autozone and they were trying to sell me some Edelbrock shocks for it. Are they worth buying? I'll probably go with KYB shocks if I can get them cheaper.

es the kit came with all the bushings except sway bar , those are an extra 6.00 or so . Kit even came with rear spring bushings
seems price went up , I paid about 120.00 . But I think it was worth it , car rides better and I think poly bushings will last longer than rubber bushings

Includes:

• Front Upper Control Arm Bushings
  • Front Lower Control Arm Bushings
  • Front Strut Rod Bushings
  • Front End Links Set
  • Lower Control Arm Bump Stops
  • Rear Leaf Spring Bushings
  • Tie Rod End Boot
    they also have this kit at almost double the price , no idea if it is better , would like to know if the kit has better bushings
  • http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=42001

Seems prothane are lifetime warranty , energy 2 years , wonder why . But that explains the price difference I guess ?

asked energy the question , is there a difference between the 2 bushings , energy black bushings have graphite impregnated in them , Prothane do not , and energy 2 year warranty , Prothane lifetime warranty . They answered my question in 20 minutes , that was nice of them .

-
Back