• Piece it together over time

Votes: 6 22.2%

• Total voters
-

65 Dartman

1 of None 65 Dart Sedan Delivery
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Theoretical question: let’s say you want to convert from an auto to a 4 speed. You find a complete 4 speed changeover for YOUR car: transmission with rods, Z Bar, shifter, handle, bellhousing, new clutch kit, pedals, hump maybe even a steering column. But it’s a couple of hundred more than what you have available. So what do you do: pass on it and start piecing the conversion together as you find the individual pieces and can afford it OR somehow scrap the money together and buy the complete changeover at the same time OR even though the seller says will not separate, make an that the seller just can’t refuse on the part(s) you need to complete the conversion.

As I said just a theoretical question as I’ve never came across a complete 4 speed conversion, just parts here and there.

Don't take my word for it but I would rather go complete. At times when things are pieced together problems can happen with fitting. Then where do you go to get it right?? JMHO
Yote

I did not see piece it together if you have the time. I did that to convert mine 8 years ago.

Brewers has complete kits - OR - you can buy what you need.

I don't think there is enough time left in the world today, so I vote get it all at once.
I might have everything except the hump and the column.But I can't get to it until the snow goes, so start saving now,lol.

It' a catch 22.
You may piece it together cheaper but shipping certain parts can get expensive quick and could likely add up to being more. Some parts are harder to find than others too.

If all the parts are already together the swap "kit" would be better. Especially if its within driving distances. However there will always be a couple parts missing just to make it agrevating.

I'm in the process of piecing a 4 speed setup together myself. I found a used transmission ,bellhousing, shifters, dust shield, fork etc and bought it all as a package. The rest I'm piecing together. I ordered my brand new clutch setup through autozone.com and got free shipping and 20 percent off. Bought my pedals from a member here. Trans tunnel off eBay. I just wait for stuff to go on sale or keep and eye on here or ebay. What I can't get ahold of or something I want new I'll order through brewers.

If I was to convert an auto car to a stick (which I wouldn't do) I'd seriously reconsider using the factory setup. WHen I had my 340 swinger I always had assaches with the factory stuff. The shifter, the zbar, the clutch pedal, etc.

I'd get all the parts you need, then do the install. I would use a new pedal assembly and a hydraulic clutch if it were me.

Always easier to get a complete setup from the RIGHT car.. BUT if stupid priced, I would just piece it together if that will keep your costs right. I have pieced together many, but parts keep getting harder to find. Feebay prices can be stupid, and as with shipping too. Brewer for the small parts, he can fix you up with all of it if you like , good service, but it adds up to bunch there.
I prefer the mechanical clutch , keep the hydraulic clutch on pickups!!!

option 5...find a parts car with the 4 speed, pillage that and sell the rest of to offset the cost?

My opinion is to buy it complete.
Unless you really know what you're doing and looking at, this is the best way.
Make sure it will be 100% useable for the year of car that you are doing.
I would buy a new clutch set up and new bushings to rebuild the linkage unless everything is in perfect shape.
Do a lot of research and make sure it will fit your application 100% and what years interchange.
Even better yet, buy a complete car with all of the parts on it and sell the rest, but those are getting fewer and farther between to buy complete.
Remember, a lot of the time people are passing off their mismatched junk and asking a fortune for it.........

And these aren't even anywhere near to being complete - no bellhousing, hump or all the small parts required to get the transmission installed!
That is why I pieced mine over time. Mine including a 10 inch clutch with a zbar new from Brewers cost a total of 600 dollars trans and all.

keep the hydraulic clutch on pickups!!!

I'm confused???

My motorcycle has a hydraulic clutch, my circle track car has one, new cars have them. I get everyone has their preferences. I just like the simplicity and the minimalist concept behind a hyd clutch.

If piecing this together especially,, If I had never done this swap, I would make a list of the big and small items and be aware of what is needed and calculate general costs. Like, Brewers sells it all. But guy on here other day said, Wayne sells the rods with the levers ( at trans), levers not offered separately. So if this is the case, be sure those levers are attached to your shifter rods or the trans....
I bet it would be hard to put the full setup together for less than a $1000 now days.... Heck how many people would ask that for the trans , bell, and shifter... I would! Then the pedals, z bar... another $150-200, used hump $50, small new boot, bushings, pieces, rebuild for the trans?????? ha.. ca ching! but worth banging gears!!!
To me.

i'd rather buy it all together. may cost a little more but i have everything right then and there.

is all the stuff good? ready to install and go? i kinda like the brewers kit.. you know its all restored/rebuilt and ready to go..

how much is your time worth? takes a lot of time to piece it together just to save a few bucks..

But it’s a couple of hundred more than what you have available.

just a couple hundred? a couple hundred is easy to find.. different if was a thousand plus more but just a couple hundred? go find it..

Last edited:
If I could re-do my swap, I'd buy complete. I was misinformed on parts which I was buying and no return. ended up buying a lot parts from Passion and Brewers

If you have the money, never done this swap, value your time, No good source for parts... and don't really know your stuff, buy it all from Brewers or Passion. Great to get a parts car with it all! and like the other guy said, sell off what you don't need!!! But then you have to find such car at a good price!! and then have a place to put it, part it, sell parts and ship!!!!

Why do I not want hydraulic? Because I prefer to keep it factory and REAL/ To me, OEM style manual cluthes are simple.. Just me.

OEM style manual cluthes are simple.

hydraulic is even more simple in my opinion.. master cyl, slave cyl and a hose. stock style has a frame bracket, bell housing bracket, z-bar and all those damn connections that get sloppy over time. nothing simple about the stock set up..way more complex then a hydraulic set up..

-
Back