buy new or rebuild

-

wstcstjunkie

69 Dart Custom
Reaction score
just bought a 69 dart custom, 273,3spd auto. the carb looks like it could use a nice cleaning, it starts up fine and sound like its getting enough fuel but im just not getting the right response when i push down on the gas pedal. are there any upgrade 2bbl carbs for this application or would i need to change the intake and go up to 4bbl?

just bought a 69 dart custom, 273,3spd auto. the carb looks like it could use a nice cleaning, it starts up fine and sound like its getting enough fuel but im just not getting the right response when i push down on the gas pedal. are there any upgrade 2bbl carbs for this application or would i need to change the intake and go up to 4bbl?

Anyone in here have a solution? i want to get the car on the road, but not until its running right.

I would try getting the timing ajusted properly first then ajust the carb settings/jetting and see what it does after that and go from there.

Its a very simple carb compaired to others. I'd say rebuild it.

Yep, the kit is cheap and easy to install on the Carter BBD. Rebuild it unless you are planning other upgrades.

Sorry, I'm going against the grain here! I say don't waste your money and time on the rebuild. I'm willing to bet that in about 30 days after the rebuild you'll wish you would have bought new! I've seen it happen way too many times.

what combo do you all suggest for an upgrade, its a 273 with a/c, p/s, no smog equipment.

I've got a Holley rebuild that I'm not happy with due to sorry gas mileage. I could have saved money and done it myself the first time. I had a similar problem with the 73. Push the go pedal at a light and the response I got was, "You talkin' to me?" I should have just put a new accelerator pump on it and have been finished with it. But no, I had to wuss out and get a "factory rebuild".

Those carbs are relatively easy to rebuild. The kit and cleaning solution will probably cost you less than 50 dollars whereas a factory rebuilt unit has to be well over 100 dollars. You might try advertising here for a good used one. I had a good one I sold here for 25 dollars, there may be others. Another option (costly) is to find a 4 barrel intake like an Edelbrock LD4B and top it with an Edelbrock 500 cfm. :D As mentioned earlier, a little bump up in the timing might help some. Try advancing your timing 5 degrees and see if there`s an improvement in your throttle response.

-
Back