buying a used set up

-

slowdown

Reaction score
Do I have to have a blow through carb to make this work. Or is the blow through carb for bigger horse power gains? I realize adding a supercharger a guy will be looking for big hp gains, but what if he doesn't have a blow through carb yet? I have a 680 quick fuel ss carb will this work till I can get a hold of a blow through 750 quick fuel? There's a set up on craigs list here in Colorado that says it has everything including the methenal water injection and carb. The guy wants 2500 for everything and says its priced to sell. ???? I haven't talked to him yet but have been looking at his ad regularly, I'm just not sure about spending 2500 on a used set up. Any input on carb and buying a used set up. Thank You.

Pretty sure that if the carb is not set up for blow thru you are going to have a crap load of troubles....

Won't work if you don't have a carb setup for blowthrough!!

Do it yourself! Not real hard but the tuning could be a nightmare if your looking for big hp.

Here is a link,
http://www.hangar18fabrication.com/blowthru.html

As far as a used turbo, make sure there is no shaft play (in/out up/down) whatsoever! Look hard at the inside of the exhaust housing for signs of oil discharge. Last but not least check the compressor and turbine wheels for any damage. Even a nick will cause you big problems.

Do I have to have a blow through carb to make this work. Or is the blow through carb for bigger horse power gains? I realize adding a supercharger a guy will be looking for big hp gains, but what if he doesn't have a blow through carb yet? I have a 680 quick fuel ss carb will this work till I can get a hold of a blow through 750 quick fuel? There's a set up on craigs list here in Colorado that says it has everything including the methenal water injection and carb. The guy wants 2500 for everything and says its priced to sell. ???? I haven't talked to him yet but have been looking at his ad regularly, I'm just not sure about spending 2500 on a used set up. Any input on carb and buying a used set up. Thank You.

You definitely NEED a blow-thru-modified carb, tweaked by someone who knows that they are doing. A carb, no matter how good it is, normally-aspirated, will not meter fuel properly under boost, and if it goes lean, it can cause detonation, which will destroy your engine quicker than you can say "BANG."

The specialty modification-places like "The Carb Shop" in Ontario CA get around $900.00 for a 4150 Holley double pumper (600 or 750cfm) that has been modified and dyno-tested for certain boost ranges of blow-thru, and that includes the price of the new carb.
The Snowwperformance Boost Coolers (water/alky injection) start around $300.00 for a Stage I unit.
Turbo prices are all over the place, but it might be possible to find a new one for $1,000.00, or cheaper, on EBay, if you know what to look for (I don't.)
If you'e going to run much over 10 pounds of boost, you probably should run an intercooler. Spearco makes some nice ones, but you need to size it to your application (expected horsepower.) I think they run around $250.00-$300.00, for a moderate-sized, air-to-air unit.
A waste gate is another "have to" item, unless you are running a turbo that has a waste gate built-in. Figure another $290-$399 for that. Another $150-up for a blow-off valve.
These are all items that you really cannot do without.

What engine is this going on, and how much boost do you expect to utilize?

Cheaper alternative might be a carb enclosure. Then all you need are phenolic floats, IIRC.

You're asking for headaches if you don't at least have that carb set up and tuned for blow through. Trust me, I just went through that mess!

I just ordered a 750 blow through carb from Kevin at CSU for my Procharged 496 raised deck build. He's a great guy to deal with, and from everything I've seen, is one of the best around. It was just shy of $1k for the carb, then I had it powder coated black for another $200 bucks. If that's not in your budget, you can send him what you have, and he'll set it up for blow through for around $650.

Here's a link ... http://csucarbs.com/

-
Back