buying built 318

-

74dart

Reaction score
Im wondering, from all your expertise, can you tell me about how much horsepower this would have?

its a 318, bored .030 over, full race cam, single 4barrel tunnel ram, high performance W heads,

they said 400 horsepower, is this a reasonable guess, do you know how much it would have?

stand back..and take a deep breath...

a 318 has a bore of 3.91
a 340 has a bore of 4.04

that is .130 overboard....it is not going to happen...

so call his bluff.....ask him what is the bore of the engine..?

then it is 323 cubic inches...

define FULL RACE Cam???

what is the duration at .050 lift...and lift of cam?

does it have the 318 heads????

They are telling you nothing. Tell us how much they are asking and we will tell you if you are getting hosed.

Personally, I wouldn't pay more then core value + $150 for the tunnel ram.

Terms like "full race cam", "high performance heads" and crap like that are fluff terms that tell you nothing, but sound good.

So…… As described, $300.

They can be hopped up engines.....and your combo is "close" to what my combo is.....but as others have mentioned......when it comes to buying an engine.....the terms you mentioned really do not tell you anything.

and ask for documentation or a dyno sheet.

I could tell you I had a 318 that was 400 horse and give you a list of things that were done to it.....but that does not mean thats factual......look into it more before you drop any $$$ on it

I would doubt the ad straight away and unless it's dirt cheap (like a few hundred) I'd want to tear it down an know exactly what is in there.

Leave it on there door step and re-pocket your money, save yourself the up and coming headache.

Buying an engine from a stranger or an engine guy that you know nothing about is like buying a box and you don't know what the contents are. You have to open it up and see what's inside first. As long as you plan on buying a core, you won't get burned.

$300 is what an intake and carb might go for. So I think that's safe. You are not getting W2s or anything fancy unless the guy's a total idiot. But if it has a tunnel ram and carb(s), it's worth $300.

And if it does have W2 heads, a tunnel ram, and a "full race" cam, it probably doesn't make much low end torque, regardless of horsepower. Especially if it has OEM style 318 pistons. What is the ACTUAL compression ratio?

Buying an engine from a stranger or an engine guy that you know nothing about is like buying a box and you don't know what the contents are. You have to open it up and see what's inside first. As long as you plan on buying a core, you won't get burned.

Exactly!

I won't pay more than a few hundred for ANY unknown engine, including a 340. As for a 318, I'm trying to give one away and still have no takers.

Everyone says they love 318's, but no one wants one, lol...

this is what I got, a 318 bored .20 over with "full race cam" no manifold, W heads, nice condition.
a used 318
A starter
A power steering pump
A unlimited horsepower transmission in great shape
A 4 speed transmission

For a wopping 100$

Unlimited horsepower transmission? Tell us more! Pics would be cool...

If those are in fact "W" heads, I'll double your money here and now. If they are "Obama" heads it's too soon to know if they will actually be worth anyhting.

its a B & M 727

the 4 speed is a 833 of course

and what can i do to it to increase the low end torque?

can someone show me in a picture or info how to tell if its a true W head

how about snapping some pictures and posting what you got?

its a B & M 727

the 4 speed is a 833 of course

and what can i do to it to increase the low end torque?

can someone show me in a picture or info how to tell if its a true W head

I don't know if I'd say a B&M 727 can handle "unlimited" horsepower. The "full race" cam bit is pretty funny too. By "W" heads do you mean something along the lines of W2, W5, W8?

I don't know if I'd say a B&M 727 can handle "unlimited" horsepower. The "full race" cam bit is pretty funny too. By "W" heads do you mean something along the lines of W2, W5, W8?

lol well thats why i asked how i can tell, can someone explain the numbers, and tell me how i can get more low end torque out of this engine

whoeverw as questioning a 318 bored 0,030 being 323 CI, a 340 with its bore being so much larger; maybe they stroked it; a stroked 318 (to a 4" stroke) with the right overbore becomes a 390 CID engine.

-
Back