Bypass regulator expert?

-

EL5DEMON340

Reaction score
Do bypass regulators bleed off fuel pressure when the engine and electric pump is off? Reason I ask is I have a heat soak restart issue and I know it will help cool fuel make it to the carb if it’s plumbed after the carb but if it doesn’t release pressure in the line at shut down i may be better off with a bypass fuel filter. thanks

Last edited:
Do bypass regulators bleed off fuel pressure when the engine and electric pump is off? Reason I ask is I have a heat soak restart issue and I know it will help cool fuel make it to the carb if it’s plumbed after the carb but if it doesn’t release pressure in the line at shut down i may be better off with a bypass fuel filter. thanks
Do you have a full bypass return or a deadhead return set-up?

See here for more info.

I have a dead head now but purchased a bypass
The regulator uses fuel pressure to either bypass or not beyond a certain adjustment setting. There is no electrical function in the regulator. Most fuel systems don't have a one way valve to hold previously pressurized fuel in your high pressure side of the fuel circuit.

My factory Magnum JTEK ECU runs the fuel pump for a second or so when the ignition key is turned to the on position just prior to cranking or Start 2 to "prime" the pressure side of the fuel system for start up.

Insulating your fuel lines around hot engine parts, blocking off the heat crossover in your intake and using a phenalic or wood carb spacer in combination to running your fuel pump prior to cranking will all help your hot start issue.

The best fix is to use an elec pump on it's own. Carters are best, no reg reqd with the #4594 good for 600 hp. The 4600 is for higher hp.

Most OEM bypass regulators don't (not aware of any case when these were used with a carb, generally an EFI thing). Many aftermarket bypass regulators do, as they trade maybe a longer starting time for the ability to regulate a higher volume fuel pump.

-
Back