c body exhaust manifolds on a 400 in our duster

-

Penstarpurist

Reaction score
I'm sure alot of you guys out there have them on your big block a body, I'm wondering how they fit for you and did you have to do any modifications or grinding to get them to fit? Especially on the passenger side. The driver side was obviously quite a bit easier to get in with only a little work to fit. I had to remove the preheater unit completely on the passenger side and weld up the holes, and in the picture you can see I had to grind away the raised casting rib on the back of the manifold to get it past the inner fender and allow it to sit in place next to it. There is like the width of a piece of paper clearance in some areas. And the width 9f a folded piece of paper in the rest if it.
20170512_135227.jpg
20170512_135309.jpg
20170512_135244.jpg

Those are 70s era manifolds. A little thicker and sit a little higher than the 60s era ones usually used.
I don't see any issues in the pics you posted, what exactly is the problem?

I used the Schumacher /6 to b block motor mounts. I don't know if I have any problems nitro, just wondered if they are all that right of a fit on the passenger side like these are. If I didn't grind the rib off the passenger side wouldn't have fit. But going by kimmers experience with them, something is off. They are off a 1970 sport fury, which if I remember correctly is what Schumacher recommended as far as in the year span.

I used the Schumacher /6 to b block motor mounts. I don't know if I have any problems nitro, just wondered if they are all that right of a fit on the passenger side like these are. If I didn't grind the rib off the passenger side wouldn't have fit. But going by kimmers experience with them, something is off. They are off a 1970 sport fury, which if I remember correctly is what Schumacher recommended as far as in the year span.
Check the casting numbers..they look later than 70, but I could be wrong.
The pre heat shield manifolds are definitely a cleaner fit. They work with a 440 pretty much the way yours do with the 400

The left side is a low perf log manifold (70-73, C-body, 383/400/440). Can't really tell what your right side is.

They both came on a 70 383, the guy I bought the engine from said he pulled the engine out of the car in the mid 80's along with the transmission. Said he bought it from the original owner that had parked the car in the mid 70's in a field. The transmission is in the duster, along with the '76 400. The 383 I bought complete with the exhaust manifolds. It's in the tractor shed waiting for the next build. Given the cost of Schumacher headers, unless it becomes an issue I'll be staying with these manifolds for awhile. I'll get the numbers off of them and see what they come back as.

-
Back