C H E A P front sway bar idea for 73-76 A body cars....

-

Kern Dog

Build your car to handle.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I love a good deal. I also love making something work on a car that wasn't designed for it. This sway bar cost me LESS than $100 to buy, modify and install.
The following here is a brief tutorial on how to make a front sway bar from a truck fit a 1973-1976 A body. I did this on a 1970 Charger but the same exact process works on The 67-76 A body cars with the 73-76 K members.
New sway bars are available for these cars but sometimes they are out of stock or as is the case lately, they are so behind with back orders, who knows when you'll get what you ordered
In 2000 just after I bought my first Charger, I was changing the oil in my '84 Chevy truck and I noticed that the front sway bar was similar in shape to the one in the Charger. The stock Charger bar is just shy of one inch in size, something like 15/16". The 1973-1990 Chevrolet 2 wheel drive ONE ton models came with a beefy 1 1/4" front sway bar. The trucks could be Long bed regular cab, long bed crew cab, flat bed regular cab or flat bed crew cab. These trucks look like this:

C 30 A.jpg
C 30 B.jpg
C 30 C.jpg
C 30 D.jpg

These bars are easily removed with a 9/16" wrench and a ratchet and socket of the same size.
It looks like this :
GM 1.JPG
GM 2.JPG
GM 3.JPG
GM 4.JPG

The reason for this little project is a little about availability and a little about saving money.
I have modified something like 6 or 7 of these since 2001 to fit My own Chargers, a 71 Challenger and 3 or 4 A body cars.
These Chevy/GMC trucks are not super common but they do show up at the junkyards occasionally. The designation is C-30 for 2wd (C) and One ton (30).
The 3/4 ton C-20 trucks sometimes have the large 1 1/4" front sway bar but most that I have seen have the 1 1/16". That one is still a great choice for a light A body and all modifications to make the 1 1/4" bar work also apply to the smaller 1 1/16" bar.

Note the way that the ends of the bar turn back towards center. Those get cut off.
GM 5.JPG

First off, get the car up in the air but the car does need to have the weight of the car on its suspension to get an accurate measurement.
I measured the center to center of the sway bar end link brackets on the control arms.

GM 12.JPG

GM 13.JPG

The 70-72 B body and all E bodies will be 39" as shown.

GM 6.JPG

Mark where the 39" is on the ends....

GM 7.JPG

In this case, 39" is right where the bar bends in. On A body cars, this measurement may be different, probably narrower. This is fine. The sway bar can be adjusted fore and aft a little bit and still clear the K member.

Last edited:
The bar is tempered steel so you'll want to use a cutoff disc of some kind. I used a Skilsaw.

GM 8.JPG
GM 9.JPG
GM 10.JPG
GM 11.JPG

Trial fit in the K member. This was with the bar as far forward as it could go. I had to cut a little more off of the ends to get them to sit under the LCA brackets and to fit the K member without rubbing.

GM 15.jpg
GM 16.JPG
GM 19.jpg

I decided to not use the stock K member brackets. I would have needed a filler piece to level out the void in the U channel recess.

I had some 1/2"x 1 3/4" aluminum stock....
GM 26.JPG
GM 25.JPG
GM 27.JPG
FSB 20.jpg
GM 29.JPG

GM 30.JPG

Trial fit # 2:

GM 33.JPG
GM 34.JPG

The Frame mount bushings have Zerks....No more squeaks!

GM 22.JPG

GM 23.JPG

I cut the K member on the car just to ensure that the bar would clear. It turned out to clear by plenty....

I cut the ends of the bar again, test fitted and since it fit and cleared, I took my trusty DeWalt grinder and tapered the ends.

GM 40.JPG

GM 41.JPG

GM 43.JPG

I left about 7/16" thickness remain before drilling for the end links.

GM 44.JPG

GM 45.JPG

The drill bits that I had could not do the job so I took the bar to my machinist.

FSB 34 gh.jpg

He drilled 7/16" holes as requested. I tapered them with a die grinder and a steel bit. This was so the end link bolt wouldn't ever be in a bind during suspension movement.

All together and it fits well.

FSB 35 d.jpg

FSB 36 d.jpg

Look at all the clearance to the bottom section of the K member. I didn't need to cut, spread and weld it after all.

FSB 37 d.jpg

FSB 38.jpg

FSB 39 d.jpg

FSB 40 d.jpg

FSB 42 d.jpg

Cost for the bar at a self serve junkyard: 41$. Frame mount "D" bushings: $26. Machine shop to drill holes: $30 for a total of $96.

Firm Feel sway bar :
Front: 1-1/8" DIA.
SBFB83......$350. ADD $20 for 1 1/4" diameter.

Plus tax, plus shipping.

Hotchkis Sport Suspension Anti-Sway Bar Kits $287.99

Sway Bar, Black, Steel, Front 1 1/4 in. Diameters, Mopar, Kit
See More Specifications | Check the Fit

Not in Stock at Sparks, NV
Estimated Pickup Date: 7/19/2021
Estimated Warehouse Ship Date: 7/16/2021

Hellwig Anti-Sway Bars $218.99

Sway Bar, Gray Hammertone, Chromoly Steel, Front, 1 1/8 in. Diameter, Dodge, Plymouth.
See More Specifications | Check the Fit

Not in Stock at Sparks, NV
Estimated Pickup Date: 7/13/2021
******************************************************************************************************************************

Even the cheapest one, the Hellwig....isn't even available for 2 months and it is an 1 1/8" unit. They sell a 1 1/4" tubular bar that is supposed to be equally effective as the 1 1/8" solid.

Really nice work, how's it handle?

And thanks for the cost comparisons too!

Nice to finally see a good use for a chevy truck:D !

Last edited:
Looks like between the two you could make the old mopar handle a lot better on the cheap.

Really nice work, how's it handle?
The same setup in THIS car.....

Folsom 6.JPG

Handles great. Neutral but will oversteer with some throttle.

The smaller 1 1/16" from the 3/4 ton trucks would pair well with 1.03 torsion bars and a smaller 5/8" rear sway bar.
This 1 1/4" bar in this thread is in my other '70 Charger with a 3/4" rear bar.

RSB 35 A.jpg

Thanks to both of you guy's for this info. My 95 V8 Dakota has a pretty fat factory front sway bar (1 1/8") but I want to install a rear bar. These posts give me the confidence I can cobble my own together with front/rear bars from different vehicles. Now I will check to see if the rear bar on my 98 Cherokee will work on the Dakota. I can save a lot of money this way. Thanks fella's

I love a good deal. I also love making something work on a car that wasn't designed for it. This sway bar cost me LESS than $100 to buy, modify and install.
The following here is a brief tutorial on how to make a front sway bar from a truck fit a 1973-1976 A body. I did this on a 1970 Charger but the same exact process works on The 67-76 A body cars with the 73-76 K members.
New sway bars are available for these cars but sometimes they are out of stock or as is the case lately, they are so behind with back orders, who knows when you'll get what you ordered
In 2000 just after I bought my first Charger, I was changing the oil in my '84 Chevy truck and I noticed that the front sway bar was similar in shape to the one in the Charger. The stock Charger bar is just shy of one inch in size, something like 15/16". The 1973-1990 Chevrolet 2 wheel drive ONE ton models came with a beefy 1 1/4" front sway bar. The trucks could be Long bed regular cab, long bed crew cab, flat bed regular cab or flat bed crew cab. These trucks look like this:

View attachment 1715730714 View attachment 1715730715 View attachment 1715730716 View attachment 1715730717

These bars are easily removed with a 9/16" wrench and a ratchet and socket of the same size.
It looks like this :
View attachment 1715730718 View attachment 1715730719 View attachment 1715730721 View attachment 1715730722

Great job Kerndog!

This is hot-rodding!!

Very good job! Thanks for sharing. I like that idea i wish my lca had the mounting tab.

Good job sounds frigful .How about mocking up a stiff wire and find a guy with an exhaust pipe bender who can bend it with your template ??

Very good job! Thanks for sharing. I like that idea i wish my lca had the mounting tab.

Make your own, that is what it is about. A 1" piece of angle iron, drill a couple holes, bolt it to your lower shock bolt and you got a place to bolt a link.

Make your own, that is what it is about. A 1" piece of angle iron, drill a couple holes, bolt it to your lower shock bolt and you got a place to bolt a link.
Yea thats a good idea would you need to weld it to the lca also?

-
Back