Cable and Internet connection help

-

roadrunnerh

Reaction score
I hope you guys can help. I want to add cable to a new room I built in my basement. Also, I need to move my desktop computer downstairs. I have Verizon Fios internet, cable and phone service. I called to ask about a tech coming out to my house to do the work. THEY WANT $320!
I have added cable to a room (much better than they would do) and added a wall plate for the coax cable. Could I just use another splitter? Currently, it goes from one coming in the house to three – a three way splitter. Should I just buy a four way to add a connection?
As far as the router for internet is concerned: It is currently hard wired to my desktop. I have an iphone and ipad that I use, but for the purpose of moving my computer – can I install something on my computer to receive wireless connection. That way I can leave the Verizon router where it is.
Please help!

Your easiest solution is to add a wireless card to your PC then you can put your PC anywhere you want in your house. If you prefer to be hard wired then just add the splitter and run a new cable to the desired location. I would go with the wireless card and make sure you have a password protected network.

I would switch to the 4 way, less chance for leaks IMO.

For the PC you can use something similar to this for a wireless connection. I have one on the wife's PC and it works just fine.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/linksys...05825855&st=categoryid$abcat0503007&cp=2&lp=7

With that said, I'm not 100% sure how well it would work if the router is upstairs and you are in the basement with the PC. They do make some more expensive ones with amplified signal.

Why not just run an Ethernet cable from the router down to the PC and hard wire it?

My wireless router reaches through a brick wall 150 feet to my barn..

and being a long time landlord, the 4 way splitter should be fine.. jmo

wireless n or better for thee router. a "G" router has the least distance. Plus- put the router up on a shelf. If higher- the signal can be received better. Just put a 4 way splitter in and run your own cable. Get good cable wire-not cheap crap. A lot better to work with. If you give a cable guy a donation- he will probably give you the cable. Heck- run the cable for internet downstairs, then run a splitter from your downstairs cable box and run the other wire back upstairs for your modem to be located upstairs. Or just get a very good rated router and keep the router upstairs. Your downstairs comp should still see it and have good signal strength. All in a good router. Im tireed- going to bed lol

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help. I was reading about signal loss when you use splitters, but also read that you still end up with enough dB at the set top box.
I'll probably keep the router where it is and purchase a wireless card for my desktop.

2 things...
first get the USB wireless not the internal cards. those cards fail soon and cause lots of pc lockups/bluescreens etc i've seen it so many times... i've dealt with them for years and years the internal wireless cards are all crap. get a usb.

2nd thing... if you are able get an apple airport extreme router. $199 bucks. yeah that's a lot. but they have beam forming i use one at home at the office we have 6 of them it covers the whole suite no connection problems at all while we had the linksys/netgear/etc we always had problems. no i'm not a fan of apple but yes the airport extreme routers (note "extreme") work very well and range is no issue whatsoever due to the beam forming stuff they use

First, there is no point in running cable down to the basement unless you want TV down there (for internet you would need another cable modem if you did it that way)
Even if you do want TV in the basement, your best bet is having a wireless capable modem or router upstairs and a USB network adapter on your computer, or better yet run a new network cable down there.
Hard wired is ALWAYS better I don't care what anybody says.

If you look around a little on the net you can get wireless USB network adapters pretty dang cheap these days.
I have one that is N wireless USB that has a reliable range of about 150 feet that is so small it is almost not noticable (looks like a wireless mouse chip) that I carry when working in case I need to add wireless to anything.

This one is a little bigger than mine and is 300N capable and look at the price.
[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/300Mbps-Mini-Wireless-USB-Wifi-Adapter-LAN-Antenna-Network-Adapter-802-11n-g-b/300992969685?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D24903%26meid%3D1a4e0b4f5b0642709678f4cfbe57f456%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D10502%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D300992969685#ht_1607wt_983"]http://www.ebay.com/itm/300Mbps-Mini-Wireless-USB-Wifi-Adapter-LAN-Antenna-Network-Adapter-802-11n-g-b/300992969685?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D24903%26meid%3D1a4e0b4f5b0642709678f4cfbe57f456%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D10502%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D300992969685#ht_1607wt_983[/ame]

If you have a wireless router connected to the cable modem, there should be open connections on the back of the router. I would rather have it hardwired to avoid signal drop, and possible free ride on my broadband connection. But that's just me. You would need another cat-5 Ethernet cable for a hardwire connection.

So if i buy that USB network adaptor I will be able to move my desktop and receive wireless connection from the Verizon router (like I do with my ipad)?

So if i buy that USB network adaptor I will be able to move my desktop and receive wireless connection from the Verizon router (like I do with my ipad)?

Exactly.
With the signal going through 50-75 direct line feet of walls or floor without metal panels it should work well.
I'm one of those people that don't believe in high dollar big brand equipment for everything.
Stuff that works is just fine. :)

-
Back