cable tranny adjustment

-

barbee6043

barbee 6043
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I know why Ma Mopar replaced the cable operated trannys. if not all the trans mechanics would have all gone to Hell from cussing the thing!??

yes, I do have a 65 FSM.

piecing this cuda back together... I got the 65 273 cuda running ( after dropping in the engine and an unknown condition 904). it started, engine sounded o k , lots of oil pressure. of course its jacked up in the back end. it starts, the sucker is in a forward gear, but shifter is in park. it will not move out of park. I take the park cable loose. I get the shifter into the other spots for the other gears, but still have forward only. I try to adjust the gear cable, I back off the wheel, the cable will not budge. is this due to PARK somehow????? thanks for any input..

I know just enough about cable shift to hate em. :D
Pretty sure the park and shift funtions are totally separate, but I could be wrong.
It's also possible that without park engaged, everything could seem like a forward gear from internal drag. (Except reverse anyway)

There is an article floating around the Allpar? site, or the slant site that has the adjustment procedure with images.

Otherwise I would give /6 Dan a shake and wake him up. :)
He probably either knows the answer, or where to find it.

I found it, and it wasn't either place.
http://www.1962to1965mopar.ornocar.com/transtech.html

thanks Trailbeast, lot of info there not in FSM!

one thing that is weird is I can't budge the shift cable where it goes in tranny. adj wheel all the way out. push, pull can't get it to move. that thing has to move to be able to adjust it.

cables are agrivating!!! to say it nicely.

the shift cable must be rusted/corroded in there. you know the aluminum/ steel thing!!

the NSS is hooked up. the car starts up and runs, and it is immediately moving the wheels and give it some throttle and they move faster, so it is an forward gear,.

-
Back