Cal Tracs

-

345man

mopar member
Reaction score
for you guys running caltracs, what is your theory on adjusting them, which hole do you use the upper or lower?

for you guys running caltracs, what is your theory on adjusting them, which hole do you use the upper or lower?

Set 'em & forget 'em!

DartLaunchControl.jpg

We are running 10.50 1/4 mile, with a 1.43 60 ft. zero preload. using the mono springs also.
The car hooks on all tracks, from Florida to Michigan ,the caltracks do work.

100_0350-2.jpg
[/IMG]

There noisy on the street with the solid front spring eye bushing and contact on top of the spring.

Have seen a few cars at the track running them,with there 60's in the mid 1.40's,was thinking of buying a set but the duster already 60's in the same time with a best of 1.42, running nothing more then xhd leafs,pinion snubber and race shocks,but might try a set next year just to see what they'll do...

could you use cal tracs with your springs moved in board (under the frame)?

I'm getting ready to order the same application directly from Calvert.

I'm more interested in this quote. This is the first time I've read about them making any noise. Anyone else have this experience?
There noisy on the street with the solid front spring eye bushing and contact on top of the spring.

I dont have Cal-tracs on my Barracuda yet, but do have a set on my supercharged club cab dakota r/t. The only time I hear any noise on mine, is when I get in and out of the truck. It makes a squeek sound. Nothing crazy, just makes you go wtf, and laugh it off. Dan

Some people, in order to quiet down the cantilever contact to the spring on street cars, put a piece of hose over the bolt/bar that contacts the top of the spring.

Do Cal-tracs negatively affect handling?

There's a guy over on BBD that says they made his car ride like a lumber wagon (very stiff).

I'm ready to order mine and I keep hearing things like this and it's making me rethink my whole decision.

They cant ride and worse then SS springs. If the solid bushing bothers you maybe you need to drive a Cady.

They cant ride and worse then SS springs. If the solid bushing bothers you maybe you need to drive a Cady.

LOL

Putting cal tracks on and being worried about noise is interesting.

That's like the guy that wanted a big solid cam and was concerned with fuel economy and noise. It just doesn't go together.

There are ways to tame some of the noise, however, you affect the ability of the product to do it's job as designed.

I'm not at all concerned with NVH, but the plan is to have the Duster handle well plus launch hard too. I want it all! lol.

Depends on how much pre-load you dial in. More preload = stiff

If you know your settings for a drag run, you could always dial it back for the street, then wind in the required preload at the track. Might take 5 minutes.

Depends on how much pre-load you dial in. More preload = stiff

If you know your settings for a drag run, you could always dial it back for the street, then wind in the required preload at the track. Might take 5 minutes.

I'd be swapping on slicks and making a few other changes as part of my pre-run program anyway so this sounds pretty good.

Thanks Cracked!

If the solid bushing bothers you maybe you need to drive a Cady.

Wow, for a second there I thought I was over on Moparts. Ask a question and get flamed!

I am just trying to make an imformed decision. I am not building a race car, just a weekend warrior that will make some serious torque. I am trying to figure out how to get it all to the ground.

If CalTracs make the car uncomfortable to drive in everyday situations maybe they aren't what I'm looking for. I have been reading up on them for several weeks now, and am just finding out that some people consider them on the fringe of being streetable.

No worries! I'm just trying to get the best of both worlds I guess.

I don't understand about the solid front bushing. It still uses my stock spring bushing so where does the solid part come in?

Unless they are improperly installed or adjusted, Caltracs cannot make noise, cause a harsh ride, or handling problems. Properly installed/adjusted they normally don't do anything, just going along for the ride, sort of likie a modified 4-link. The only time they come into play is under enough torque to twist the springs. If you can hear or notice that (apart from a straight, solid launch) at the starting line, you're more tuned in to your ride than I am.

-
Back