Californian FABO Members - be safe!

-
It's 88%_contained now, no flame front anymore. See what a little rain does in Ca? It grows **** that hasn't grown in years and then the winds turn it to dry kindling. IT'S THE WAY IT'S BEEN FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS. And we build in the middle of these burn zones and ask why this happens. Ask the native Indians why they used to burn this stuff every year if you can find any. Yes it's a shame, yes it can be managed, no: it cannot be managed with the current legislatures in Ca office who won't let Forestry do its job. "Save the trees!" Even though they are bark beetle infested and already dead. We can't even clear out the old growth due to 'environmental issues'. Sorry to detract from this post but this still is a huge issue.

There was another one down in your neighborhood Pishta? 405 was too 405 to gawk at the hills in that neighborhood. We had .03" the other day. I don't know how we withstood the deluge :rolleyes: and it's back to fall weather and 70sum here today.

One of the local ranchers was doing a "range improvement" burn years ago. Turned into a 2000 acre mess. His popularity among the ranching community dwindled rapidly :lol:

It's 88%_contained now, no flame front anymore. See what a little rain does in Ca? It grows **** that hasn't grown in years and then the winds turn it to dry kindling. IT'S THE WAY IT'S BEEN FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS. And we build in the middle of these burn zones and ask why this happens. Ask the native Indians why they used to burn this stuff every year if you can find any. Yes it's a shame, yes it can be managed, no: it cannot be managed with the current legislatures in Ca office who won't let Forestry do its job. "Save the trees!" Even though they are bark beetle infested and already dead. We can't even clear out the old growth due to 'environmental issues'. Sorry to detract from this post but this still is a huge issue.
------------------this was an issue back when I lived out there . Too many elected idiots getting their way, that don`t understand anything !!

There was another one down in your neighborhood Pishta? 405 was too 405 to gawk at the hills in that neighborhood. We had .03" the other day. I don't know how we withstood the deluge :rolleyes: and it's back to fall weather and 70sum here today.
8 miles away, I was in no danger but plenty were scared. We had a huge one back in Laguna Canyon 25+ years ago. We could see the flames on the hill.

So a friend of mine was in his 10 wheeler dump truck in the Montecito area yesterday working probably for the county flood control bunch. Any moderate rain storms in the near future, that area is going to have serious problems. He said it burnt everything right to the ground, no little stumps, no stubble, no roots. Nothing left to hold the hillsides in place. It would just be part of the natural cycle of things if it weren't so populated there. Travel on the coast may be challenging this winter.

What winter? It was 80* yesterday! Haha. The hills from Santa Barbara to Santa Paula are burnt to the ground. That’s a 40 mile stretch. If we get any water this year it’s going to be bad.

It was close to 80 here I think. We've had short sleeve NYDs up here before, we'll have them again. Rain falling on that ash will be like water falling on grease, it will just head for the low spots. Those bridges where the tree huggers won't let the flood control peeps clear the channel of brush, any serious rain, the bridges will be gone. Good for the construction industry though. I haven't heard any talk from the weather guys and gals about any El Nino, La Nina, El Puerco currents this year. The Santa Monica Mtns looked kinda weird last week with no snow on them, I've skied in Big Bear on Thanksgiving. Only snow up there right now came out of a hose. Then again I've been through 4' of snow overnight at Mammoth. Come on March Meet!

I hear the CDF has declared the Thomas Fire officially EXTINGUISHED. With the help of that deluge they had earlier this week. The one that caused the mudslides in Santa Barbara that closed US101, and caused more death and destruction. There is snow in the mountains now, I saw it myself from the desert on my way home using a route to avoid the above mentioned road closure. I've traveled that road countless times, never even thought about seeing snow, I had to look numerous times to believe it. Tuesday morning 4 central coast friends warned me by text of the slides, I was in Phoenix at the time. Now the residents of that area are pointing fingers at the Fire, Police, Flood and any other entity that they say should have warned them about the possibility of the slides. Last Friday from looking at the NWS weather report I could have told them to "GTH outa there". To those that suffered further loss, my condolences.

The mudslides were mentioned all the time on newscast and in some news conferences with officials when the fire was raging.

Sucks that this has added insult to injury. The ones with homeowners insurance are going to be in for a surprise when they find out slides are usually not covered!

Really bad situation all around.

So the slides are caviated in the way floods are everywhere else?

This valley has that same issue. Two rivers join just up stream of town. One has a Corps of Engineers dam on it, the other is just a dry water way 7 years out of 10. When I moved to this area 30+ years ago one of my co-workers a local native told me NOT to buy any property north of Such an Such St. which before the levee was built was the natural river bank. 40 years of construction work taught me at least one thing "There is nothing man can build, that Nature cannot tear down". I bought on the higher ground. The rock products company I worked for along with the rock producers across the river from us had a deal with the County, both companies mined the river for raw material. When the earthen river crossing washes out we supplied the machinery and the other company supplied the material, aside from the 8' culvert pipes, the County supplied that, to rebuild the crossing. I helped replace that crossing 4 times in my service there. Eventually they built a bridge with the help of a sizable private grant from the wine producers in that area. Much to the tree huggers' dislike, our mining of the river improved the capacity of the river bed and saved a lot of productive lands and residences. There was never any warning, from one day with a marginal flow through 1 culvert to crossing gone, overnight.

The word I get from friends working on the mudslide disaster in Santa Barbara is the Feds have stepped in to assist and supervise the cleanup. Army Corps of Engineers. That could be interesting if they get a furlough due to the government shutdown that seems to be looming. They have Military persons assisting with military vehicles. Perhaps Monday for US 101 to be open, then on to the city streets. Just follow the mud trail. It will lead you right to Carpenteria State Beach.

-
Back