Caliper info

-

DentalDart

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have 2 sets of calipers. Dont know which to use? Or buy a new set :)

First set (just painted them black) came with my car, looked new and never used. I think they just need a piston but in not to sure? Second set (daughter wanted to paint them red) came off a 1988 diplomat, they just need cleaned up I think.

Calipers are the only thing I have not purchased new because I had 2 sets. Should I just buy new ones? Diplomat ones from the auto store or should I just clean mine up?

20200119_111904.jpg

20200119_111104.jpg

about $20/side new/reman...not even a question.
avoid the phenolic piston units.

Ordered new ones from Oreilys. My rotors get here tomorrow and the calipers are supposed to show up tomorrow as well.

Thanks guys!

Check the piston diameter. A-body calipers came with 2.6” pistons from ‘73-75, everything else had 2.75” bore. In ‘76 the A-bodies got the 2.75” calipers as well. The larger pistons give a little more clamping force, nice little upgrade over the 2.6’s.

Check the piston diameter. A-body calipers came with 2.6” pistons from ‘73-75, everything else had 2.75” bore. In ‘76 the A-bodies got the 2.75” calipers as well. The larger pistons give a little more clamping force, nice little upgrade over the 2.6’s.

I damn, I ordered some for a 75, but i will definitely check them when I get them. I'm thinking the whole system will be quite a bit better. 11in rear drums with the discs up front, plus all the suspension stuff. Now just the torsion bar dellima, dang I need to sell more parts :rofl:

20200119_171409.jpg

Yeah if you have 11” drums out back you’ll want the 2.75” piston calipers up front.

You want to measure them either way, the parts houses aren’t the greatest at separating all that stuff so it wouldn’t be unheard of to get two different sized pistons in a “pair” of calipers.

Yeah if you have 11” drums out back you’ll want the 2.75” piston calipers up front.

You want to measure them either way, the parts houses aren’t the greatest at separating all that stuff so it wouldn’t be unheard of to get two different sized pistons in a “pair” of calipers.

Dang that sucks, the ones I ordered are labeled as "2.596" diameter. I'll order another set but dont know if they will be here tomorrow. I'll see if amazon has anything.

Edit- Purchased some off amazon that were for the Diplomat... Unfortunately one has a phenolic piston (noticed after pressing purchase). They have 3.10 piston sizes though, It stated they were for the 76 Dart and the 88 Diplomat when I searched them both.

Last edited:
Funny thing is...these are band new... just picked them up at oreilys and they are 2.6 diameter. The ones that are coming tomorrow are 3.1 diameter pistons but one of the pistons are the phenolic stuff not metal.

I'm also pretty sure my other set of calipers is brand new and I believe they are 2.75 diameter.

I'm try them all on and see which I like best. I'm kind of digging the gold.

20200120_105155.jpg

20200120_105600.jpg

20200120_105618.jpg

Yeah the 2.6” calipers are reproduced, they’re out there and if you ask for A-body 73-75 that’s usually what you get. It’s weird because that’s all they came on, but it doesn’t seem hard to get them.

Of course I’ve never had an issue getting the 2.75’s, I usually just ask for calipers off a Diplomat.

Yeah the 2.6” calipers are reproduced, they’re out there and if you ask for A-body 73-75 that’s usually what you get. It’s weird because that’s all they came on, but it doesn’t seem hard to get them.

Of course I’ve never had an issue getting the 2.75’s, I usually just ask for calipers off a Diplomat.

The gold/silver are 2.6in diameter new ones for a 75 dart, the black ones are ones I had 2.75in diameter that were in my pile of parts, and I have some 3.10 diameter ones coming wednesday. I'm going to take in my diplomat ones and use those as my core charge refund.

My rotors come tomorrow so I'll get those installed and mock up the rest of the parts and use the best ones for the final install and return what I don't use.

The gold/silver are 2.6in diameter new ones for a 75 dart, the black ones are ones I had 2.75in diameter that were in my pile of parts, and I have some 3.10 diameter ones coming wednesday. I'm going to take in my diplomat ones and use those as my core charge refund.

My rotors come tomorrow so I'll get those installed and mock up the rest of the parts and use the best ones for the final install and return what I don't use.

Im not aware of any 3.10” piston calipers that fit anything A/B/E/F/M/J/R. Sounds truck or C body to me, and those won’t fit the caliper brackets.

I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure the only options are 2.6” or 2.75”.

If the calipers aren’t stuck and don’t leak I’d have no problem flushing clean brake fluid through them and running them. I’ve seen them screwed up in reconditioning, and other than the seals not much usually goes bad.

Im not aware of any 3.10” piston calipers that fit anything A/B/E/F/M/J/R. Sounds truck or C body to me, and those won’t fit the caliper brackets.

I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure the only options are 2.6” or 2.75”.

If the calipers aren’t stuck and don’t leak I’d have no problem flushing clean brake fluid through them and running them. I’ve seen them screwed up in reconditioning, and other than the seals not much usually goes bad.

Cardone 18-4075 and Cardone 18-4076S,

When I searched on Amazon that's what came up and it says they fit both the dart and the diplomat. Then on the cardone website it says they are 3.1 piston size

B57D9573-822B-4D86-9C0D-12C041DF5FB6.png

Cardone 18-4075 and Cardone 18-4076S,

When I searched on Amazon that's what came up and it says they fit both the dart and the diplomat. Then on the cardone website it says they are 3.1 piston size

Nope. C-body and truck. “S” is just steel piston. From Cardone

So probably for the larger brakes, oh well maybe next time

Not just larger brakes, they’re totally incompatible. The caliper brackets are different, they have a larger spread on the bolts to the spindle. C-body and truck parts basically don’t interchange with anything else car wise.

Not just larger brakes, they’re totally incompatible. The caliper brackets are different, they have a larger spread on the bolts to the spindle. C-body and truck parts basically don’t interchange with anything else car wise.

Thanks for that info I'll definitely be sending them back then.

Since we are ok caliper talk, can you explain where this caliper bushing (that's in the hardware kit) goes or point me in the direction of where to find a picture of it?

Edit I found a picture of the oring and location they are part of the anti-rattle part

20200120_161811.jpg

Thanks for that info I'll definitely be sending them back then.

Since we are ok caliper talk, can you explain where this caliper bushing (that's in the hardware kit) goes or point me in the direction of where to find a picture of it?

Edit I found a picture of the oring and location they are part of the anti-rattle part

View attachment 1715456030

This one?
A56D088F-4F44-4BEE-B0E8-C6CF7F856E01.jpeg

It might just be the angle of the picture, but that brake line looks like it will hit the upper control arm when you turn the wheel. I would check that. I would have to go back to the garage and look at mine, but I dont recall that line looking like that.

It might just be the angle of the picture, but that brake line looks like it will hit the upper control arm when you turn the wheel. I would check that. I would have to go back to the garage and look at mine, but I dont recall that line looking like that.

It didnt and I bent the metal sleeve a little closer to the caliper to ensure it wouldn't hit the control arms on both full left and full right turns.

Then I replaced them with 1969 camaro brake lines due to everyone suggesting it.

Then my line from the proportioning valve to the drivers side caliper broke when I was trying to install the drivers side LCA so I got a new one and will be replacing it later. When I have some time!

20200128_173018.jpg

20200203_180629.jpg

20200203_180629.jpg

20200203_180640.jpg

-
Back