Caliper location question

-

danielb927

Reaction score
My disc brake calipers are located at the upper rear of the rotors. I read somewhere that 73+ disc brakes had the calipers located on the front side. Does this mean I have 72 or earlier disc brakes? Still trying to figure out what's what on this car.

Oh, and the hubs are BBP, if that makes a difference. This is a 73 car but with a 72 or earlier K-frame so it could be either one based on what was swapped out.

Ok, that solves question 1. I'm assuming this was accomplished by using the driver's side hub/disc on the passenger's side and vice versa. Question 2: I have a sway bar and I know the links won't fit with the calipers in the front. Are there smaller links for 73+ that work with the calipers in the front? Clearly there would be interference in the current setup. Does it hurt anything to keep the calipers the way they are now?

factory they came in on the front of the rotor. someone just swapped the spindles side to side. as long as you have the brake hoses worked out ok then theres no issue with it...

Over the years, I've always heard many say that the front is the correct location for Calipers. However, I've never really gotten a good rationale for this. I have heard that brake line interference is an issue & that rear mounting can cause 'bump steer'.
Two, valid concerns.

But, FWIW, I mounted my Calipers (on 2 B/Cudae) on the rear. Yes, this was to clear the Sway Bar tabs, but this also just seems more natural. Also, from what I can see, F-Bodies & M-Bodies had these mounted to the rear (if I'm not mistaken).

My experience (one B/Cuda has had the Disc Conversion on it for 6 years) is that there is that there is no issue with mounting to the rear. Again, that's a FWIW.

And, BTW, I followed Tom Condron's book (which doesn't directly address front/rear mounting - but he seems to say 'front')) on front Ends & Disc Swaps, so I have to give him lots of credit for a well-outlined plan of attack & description of the how's & why's.

Anyway, that Front End/Disc Upgrade is probably the single-best thing one can do to these cars.

Excellent, so I've got 73+ brakes and the big ball joint UCA's as well, I'm sure. Now the only thing I need to figure out is the sway bar. I have a 72 or earlier K-member with 73+ for basically everything else. How can I figure out which year sway bar I have and which end links I need? Or are they the same?

73-up sway bar goes through the k-member and has shorter arms. The calipers can be mounted either way and the sway bar interference can be solved by using short end links if the calipers are front mounted. The location of the caliper does NOT affect brake performance or bump steer.

-
Back