Caliper rebuild lubricant

-

Ben Drinkin

Hey bartender!
Reaction score
On a 73 Dart w/power discs, the FSM says to lubricate new seal and boot when installing. What should be used for lubricant? I have no clue what Ucon LB1145Y24 is. Or where to get it..

(2) Dip new piston seal in lubricant (supplied with
kit) Ucon LB1145Y24 (or equivalent) and install in
groove in bore. Seal should be positioned at one area
in groove and gently worked around the groove, using
clean fingers, until properly seated. NEVER USE AN
OLD PISTON SEAL. (Be sure seal is not twisted or
rolled) (Fig. 16).
(3) Coat new piston boot with lubricant (as specified
above) leaving a generous amount of lubricant
inside of boot. Install in caliper by working into outer
groove, using fingers only. (Boot will seem larger
than diameter of groove, but will snap into place when
properly positioned in groove (Fig. 17). Using a forefinger,
slide around inside of boot to be sure it is
seated, or correctly installed.

Polyalkylene Glycol from Dow Chemical Corp.
Does that answer your question? :D

Use Vaseline or just brake fluid.

I have been using "Silicon O-ring lube". The little tubes that come in the Spicer tranny overhaul kits, left over from the days I was working on RoadRangers.I put a "little" extra in the grooves.Havent seen any corrosion in there, in years.Available at your local jobber.
But yeah, brake fluid works. I wouldnt use anything petroleum based.I have seen them swell up pretty good/bad when the wrong stuff is used.

Mc Kay brake assembly lube.

50600.jpg

I use brake fluid. It ain't like you ain't gonna need it anyway. And it ain't like it won't work.

I have been using "Silicon O-ring lube". The little tubes that come in the Spicer tranny overhaul kits, left over from the days I was working on RoadRangers.I put a "little" extra in the grooves.Havent seen any corrosion in there, in years.Available at your local jobber.
But yeah, brake fluid works. I wouldnt use anything petroleum based.I have seen them swell up pretty good/bad when the wrong stuff is used.

Transmissions use the same type of rubber in their seals as brake systems, and we vasoline the heck out of those.
I would'nt slather it all over the place, but just use a light film due to the fluid possibly getting globs in it.

Either that or we could use brake fluid. #-o:D

Edit:
I mean the clutch pack lip seals are the same material, not the normal outside seals.

I knew what you meant,lol. And I use the same silicon grease there, as it is so slippery it makes it almost impossible to damage or twist a lip-seal. As the lady on Tv says, I put that sxxt on everything.

I knew what you meant,lol. And I use the same silicon grease there, as it is so slippery it makes it almost impossible to damage or twist a lip-seal. As the lady on Tv says, I put that sxxt on everything.

Yea, in small amounts it's not going to hurt anything.
Just a little bit of a chemical makup difference, and as long as you don't get loose globs or anything it's fine.
I don't have any hard facts or anything but I know standard brake fluid and silicone are quite different substances.

Thats why I use it there, in the calipers. It wont wash out, and it is not soluble in the brake fluid, and has a very high melting point.It keeps the o-ring grooves from oxidizing and jamming up the rings. And you are right, just a very, very, thin film; as thin as I can make it. I dont want to defeat seal retraction.

Thats why I use it there, in the calipers. It wont wash out, and it is not soluble in the brake fluid, and has a very high melting point.It keeps the o-ring grooves from oxidizing and jamming up the rings. And you are right, just a very, very, thin film; as thin as I can make it. I dont want to defeat seal retraction.

Now see, I would trust you working on my car more than I would Foose. :D

Um, thx ,I think.
My last employer hired me over others, because he had heard from my previous employers, that I had almost zero comebacks.( Ive been working in the same community since 84, and employers all know eachother).Thats some nice referral right there. I told him,my gift is not memory. My gift is figuring things out.Im tenacious that way, and patient, and persistent.But I have to record my sucesses in a diary, because a year from now, or maybe in 6 months, I may not remember what I did.Then I offered him the option of not hiring me.He refused the offer in in fact offered me 25% more starting wage. I declined the 25 and accepted 10%. We had a good relationship.
I make mistakes like everybody else.Maybe fewer than some.I try my best, always.I treat every job as if God himself was watching.
Where did that come from? I dunno. And what has that got to do with lubing O-rings? I dunno that either. Must be getting soft.
bedtime

-
Back