CALIPER REBUILDING QUESTION

-

CFD244

"THE NEW OLDSMOBILES ARE IN EARLY THIS YEAR"
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks

I'm looking to rebuild a set of KH calipers to keep on the shelf. In the past, everything I built got lubed with appropriate brake fluid and then installed. Since these will not be put into service until who knows when, I want to lube them with something a little more substantial. I am thinking about synthetic or silicone grease, but I don't want to use something that doesn't play well chemically with brake fluid. Any suggestions?

Thanks FABO

100% silicone grease works great! Learned that the hard way used to use dot 3 and once installed it in a dot 5 system. Dam things swelled up really bad due to the incompatibility of the fluids.

I've no idea Troy, but whatever you use may depend on the type of brake fluid you're planning to use. Dot 3 or 5. I suggest 5.

WD40 repels moisture and also a good lubricant for assembly. Spray the whole body down for assembly and wrap them in a WD40 soaked rag before you store them. We spray all machines parts after they are done and stretch wrap them for pick up.

WD40 repels moisture and also a good lubricant for assembly. Spray the whole body down for assembly and wrap them in a WD40 soaked rag before you store them. We spray all machines parts after they are done and stretch wrap them for pick up.
I've used WD-40 for some things, but also heard it gets sticky after awhile (on door lock cylinders). Would not think it is good to use on parts that won't be in use for quite some time.

Another vote for silcone grease. lube the caliper piston, bores and seals. Always worked for me

I wouldn’t rebuild them until you are ready to use them. A few years ago I was helping a buddy work on a Dart Swinger, well it needed the calipers rebuild, he had a “fresh” rebuild set sitting on the shelf. That rebuild was about 10 years prior. We get the car running, we went for a short shake down, came back to the shop, then another buddy took it for a shake down and then I took it for a shake down, when I got back to the shop, buddy #2 egged me on, so I stood on the brakes and started smoking the tires on the shop floor, right as I’m at the top of 1st (it’s a 340/727) the peddle hit the floor, I let off the gas and slammed it into park. Was a few seconds from sending that dart out the back wall……

A puck seal blew out.

Long story short, the rubber in the seals breaks down…

I've used WD-40 for some things, but also heard it gets sticky after awhile (on door lock cylinders). Would not think it is good to use on parts that won't be in use for quite some time.
It does leave a film that will protect the caliper from rusting until you assemble it. I would spray the pistons and the body and wrap them up.

-
Back