Call me cRaZy

-

Mopower71

Speed Demon
Reaction score
:confused: I think I've finally lost it.
I just came in from marking the balancer.
I need to do a leakdown test and to make things easier, I figured I would mark out the balancer.
Hmm, Starting from the TDC groove and using the 20degs the timing indicator has (factory cover), I marked the balancer every 10deg. Put a nice mark acrossed the surface at 90, 180, and 270. kept marking all the way back to TDC and get 350deg angry9:

What the heck.
So I recheck all the way around again to make sure I didn't miss a mark or count wrong. Still get 350 deg.
Somebody shoot me now.

If you need to find ever 1/4 turn on the dampener,make a piece of paper of about a 1/2 wide to rap around the dampener.Cut it so the ends butt up against each other,and then fold it in half and mark it,and fold it half again and mark it.Transfer the marks from the tape to the dampener after lining the ends up with tdc,Mrmopartech

Here is a math solution for your problem.The dampener is in most cases 7.25 inches across.You multiply it by 3.1416 which is pie for find the circumfrance of a circle which equals 22.8085.Take this and divide it by 360:22.8085/360=0.063.this means that every 0.063 inches equals 1 degree.Then 45 degrees is equal to 2.835 inches,90 degrees would be twice that or 5.67 inches from TDC,Mrmopartech

It was just to odd.
I figured I would use the marks if I ever had a non adjustable timing light.
Hey, and whats easier tha marking it every 10 degrees using the indicator on the timing cover, and transfering it to the balancer?
I like the paper trick. and the math is easy. I think I just need to get some sleep.
After fixing the leakey tranny line, I should have walked away.
But Noooooo. I wanted to warm it up and do the leakdown. Never got that far. And I need to get a check valve for my air compressor. Been trying to get it to seal and it won't. Been leaking since the day I got it. And the service center said I would have to pay for it. What The warrenty's no good.

Using the "Algebra" figures, I'm thinking your marks are too narrow. They should be at least .060" wide (1/16"). If you used a scribe, they are way to narrow. I like the $3 tape myself..lol

I did the math with mine and figured out it was in my best interest to buy a digital timing light.

By the way Adam and MRmopartech my best subjects in school were getting high, racing in the parking lot, peeking in the girls locker room and detention!!!
teu45.gif

When the balancer is off, use the folded paper method to find every 90 degrees. Take a fine hacksaw blade and put a 1/16" or so deep mark across the balancer. Put a little white or yellow paint in it and you're done. I also put a mark at 36 degrees BTC to set my timing at full advance. Now there's no question.

onehellofadart said:
By the way Adam and MRmopartech my best subjects in school were getting high, racing in the parking lot, peeking in the girls locker room and detention!!!
teu45.gif

I was good in sleeping in the back 101, advanced running for Tacobell for lunch and smoking in the boys room.

I used the paper trick and marked it again. Maybe tomorrow I'll get a chance to do the leakdown, and make my final decision about going to LVD for Mopar day.

Guitar Jones is right on...make absolutely sure zero is true zero. If it is off it won't matter how you mark it, it will all be wrong. TB.

-
Back