Calling slant6dan, GE Nighthawks

-

nothingbutdarts

Reaction score
I can't seem to fine an auto parts store in the Colorado area that sells the GE Nighthawk headlights? I checked GE websight but it's more "home consumer" oriented.

I wasn't really looking to buy online, I would rather walk into a store to purchase them. Any ideas where????

Thank You!

They are frustratingly difficult to find, it's true, made all the more maddening by how easy it is to buy Sylvania or Wagner garbage. And when you do find them in person, the prices are often ridiculously high. It's why I just give up and get 'em from Amazon.com . The price there is so much lower than anywhere else that even with shipping it's still cost-effective.

They are frustratingly difficult to find, it's true, made all the more maddening by how easy it is to buy Sylvania or Wagner garbage. And when you do find them in person, the prices are often ridiculously high. It's why I just give up and get 'em from Amazon.com . The price there is so much lower than anywhere else that even with shipping it's still cost-effective.

They come package well enough they don't get damaged?

Thanks for the info!

these right?

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001OKV216"]http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001OKV216[/ame]

Link I clicked on said $20.95 each?!? Weird.

I have no problem buying auto parts or anything else for that matter off of Amazon.com, SummitRacing.com, RockAuto.com, Overstock.com, etc. Sure, if I need an oil filter I can run up to Oreilly's and buy one, but if I had thought ahead and bought it online, I can get it for about half the price. Most of the time with free shipping and no sales tax!! Internet shopping is here to stay.

Couple clicks and BOOM!!! 3 days later, there's a pile of hot rod parts on my porch!!!

img1292536537516.jpg

I buy Wix gold filters at Oreilly because I don't plan ahead very well.

Aren't those still seald beams? Sorta archaic when you can get a Daniel Stern Cibie upgrade.

Strokerscamp: Yes, they're sealed beams and yeah, the Cibies I sell are a lot better replaceable-bulb ECE-code lights, but they're also a lot more expensive. The GE Night Hawks are the one and only good cheap headlamp. Not a world's-best headlamp, but a real upgrade from any other 7" round sealed beam, and in conjunction with proper wiring and a careful aim job, easier on the budget of the buyer. Many who do a lot of night driving find $225 worth of second-best-available headlamps to be well worth it, and there are a few who find $1300 worth of best-available headlamps to be well worth it, but those who just need to see better at minimal cost are hard-pressed to find a more cost-effective pick than the Night Hawk.

(you may detect I am allergic to upsell and oversell)

I'll take the Night Hawks. In my experience, bright headlights only cause others to flash their high beams at you, so you flash your high beams at them. They are blinded and heading right toward you. No thanks!

BrianT, you're missing an important point: good headlamps have better beam focus than poor headlamps; that's what makes them better. It means they put more light where you need it, and do a better job of keeping light away from where it shouldn't be (in other drivers' eyes, up in the air to cause backdazzle in rain/fog/snow, etc.). A headlamp that is just indiscriminately brighter and causes glare is not a better headlamp. Assuming proper aim in both cases, the Cibie lamps produce less glare than the Night Hawks.

Dan, I have read the numerous posts that you have made about headlamps. They are very informative and well written. You obviously know a lot about automotive lighting. I look forward to the next post!!

-
Back