Caltracks VS Super Stock Springs

-

gipperco

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can find out some information on Caltracks. I am building a 74 Dart Swinger for my wife to race. It will be track only and it will have a slightly more than stock 318 for now. I am trying to figure out what Caltracks exactly are and if I even need to have the added expense or if I can just go with super stock springs.

Thank you

with a slightly more then a stock 318 the stock springs should be fine... why spend the money now? in the future if you decide to put more power out then worry about them.. my dart ran 1.69 60' times with a set of stock 100,000 mile 6 cyl. springs and air shocks .....

Well I don't have either yet that is my dilemma, do I spend the money for Super Stock Springs now and then get Caltracks later or just get them now? Is there that much difference in price?

I run a 71 340 Demon in stock eliminator and have always used the 002/003 S/S springs right from Summit. The car runs 1.39 short times and have gone a best of 10.77 last season and 10.79 this season. Thats on a 12.15 index. Save the money and buy a set of S/S springs. You might be able to find a set of used ones on ebay or this site. With your power potential you certainly don't need the CalTacks. Just my opinion from my experience. The difference in price? Caltracks complete system - about $350 without the shocks that make them work the best, S/S springs from Summit about $250 delivered and you don't need to get special shocks.

That's my car to the left on 5 year old S/S springs.

Ken
Edison, NJ

I run a 71 340 Demon in stock eliminator and have always used the 002/003 S/S springs right from Summit. The car runs 1.39 short times and have gone a best of 10.77 last season and 10.79 this season. Thats on a 12.15 index. Save the money and buy a set of S/S springs. You might be able to find a set of used ones on ebay or this site. With your power potential you certainly don't need the CalTacks. Just my opinion from my experience. The difference in price? Caltracks complete system - about $350 without the shocks that make them work the best, S/S springs from Summit about $250 delivered and you don't need to get special shocks.

That's my car to the left on 5 year old S/S springs.

Ken
Edison, NJ

n think i saw that car in your avatar years ago at e-town... i couldn't believe what it was running. if i remember it had a thermoquad on it too...

You're right Joe, Thermoquad, cast iron factory intake and 3500 lbs. with me in it.

Ken

it had to be the atlanitc nats when it was actually a good show.... the car amazed me . it looked so stock except for the paint.. i think it was running low to mid 11's at the time and i was like damn it even has a thermoquad on it....lol... i was young and still brain washed from the magazines and older mopar guys that said the TQ was junk... that car really impressed me.. then i bought a lil red and a friend helped me out with the TQ that was on it and man those carbs are awesome when set up right...

Ken love your Demon and it runs awesome ! You might know a friend of mine who runs a Duster in G/SA and E also I believe. He has a sweet Duster that has dipped in the 10's. His name is Mark Dickerson. In fact I have a suregrip in my sons 8-3/4 rear in his Dart that mark gave me.
As for the Cal tracks I hear alot of good about them but I agree with Ken as the SS springs have always worked great for me and is more then enough to get your car to work good. I plan to get a set of SS springs for my 63 but it has pulled a 1.58 best 60 on the original 44 year old leaf sprigs and air shocks ! And when it hooks hard it gets air under the left front wheel. So I cant complain for a mid 11 car hooking pretty good on 44 year old springs. But for very fast 9 and 10 second cars I see many running Caltracks and hooking real good also. Ron

318? I would think a good set of slapper bars and stock springs would be the ticket. Even less expensive than the ss springs. Then you can adjust some side to side if needed. If you need more tire space in rear the ss springs generally will raise the rear of your car. That helps tire clearance but does shift weight to the front of the car. jmo Ray

With your s/s springs 002,003 is there any tricks done to them to get that low of 60 foots. I have a 3000 lb duster with me in it and just the backs are clamped. I run 580 horse small block 416 and the best i can get is 1.47
best time to date [email protected] opinion. I due have a trans brake but i dont use it because it hits the tires to hard and i run a slower 60 foot. any ideas?

Another alternative is the mopar exd springs,thats what i use on my '70 duster with nothing more then a pinion snubber and summit drag shocks its 60's in the high 1.40's with a best of 1.47...not bad for a street car...

With your s/s springs 002,003 is there any tricks done to them to get that low of 60 foots. I have a 3000 lb duster with me in it and just the backs are clamped. I run 580 horse small block 416 and the best i can get is 1.47
best time to date [email protected] opinion. I due have a trans brake but i dont use it because it hits the tires to hard and i run a slower 60 foot. any ideas?

use a lower stall???

I just used the springs as they come form the UPS delivery guy. I do change the front spring eye bushing to a solid one and have Comp Engineering adjustable shocks and that is it. The convertor has a lot to do with it as does the trans and the 1st gear that is in it. I use an ATI convertor that flashes to around 5000 rpm and low gear 904 done by ProTrans out of California. I launch at around 2300 rpm and go. The track and weather conditions will also add or take away performance so keep that in mind.

And 383man, I've also known Mark Dickerson for a number of years. Great guy. He's the guy that hooked me up with the ATI convertor and Burtonsville Machine in Laurel, MD.

Ken

I can't tell you about mopars exactly as I'm still building my first one...

On my amx since there isn't alot of options in the first place I installed caltrac bars and split mono-leaf springs along with HAL single adjustable shocks.

All I can say is my 60fts picked up and got consistent compared to the "New" stock springs I had.

http://www.calvertracing.com/

caltrac W split mono 1.42-1.43 60 ft. 540 hp 10.53 @ 127 mph
100_0369.jpg
[/IMG]
100_0285-1.jpg
[/IMG]
milan008.jpg
[/IMG]

The SS springs do work great for limited applications. I personally found them to be too violent. The CalTrac set up calmed the car down considerably, still 60 footed the same but much more consistent.

I guess it really depends on you're plans. If you plan on building a stocker where development and performance will be limited than SS springs may be a good deal. If you have plans to build a big motor later or even spray it or supercharge it than SS springs are a bad investment as you'll just have to scrap them and go to CalTracs, ladder bars, or a four link system anyway. Why buy something you are going to have to replace later? Save a little more and get what you need one time.

BTW I'm not knocking the stocker, I drive my friends J/FIA Dakota. physixx has a great running car, wish it was mine.

Guitar Jones

Posts: 843 The SS springs do work great for limited applications. I personally found them to be too violent. The CalTrac set up calmed the car down considerably, still 60 footed the same but much more consistent.

I guess it really depends on you're plans. If you plan on building a stocker where development and performance will be limited than SS springs may be a good deal. If you have plans to build a big motor later or even spray it or supercharge it than SS springs are a bad investment as you'll just have to scrap them and go to CalTracs, ladder bars, or a four link system anyway. Why buy something you are going to have to replace later? Save a little more and get what you need one time.

BTW I'm not knocking the stocker, I drive my friends J/FIA Dakota. physixx has a great running car, wish it was mine.

Member : Secret Scamp Owners Society

http://dcxtechnician.proboards70.com

-
Back