Cam and carb suggestions

-
Love the Mopar Performance 340 Cam, works great with the J heads. Really like the all around driveability, and great performance. Running it with Edelbrock 1406 600 cfm electric choke model is great right out of the box. Want to play around with jetting, easily can do.

Camshaft selection is really, really complicated so do your home work and know what you want. If you don't know what you want, someone else will ultimately decide for you and their decision does not always end up with your best intention in mind.

End of Story: The Mopar 340 cam is a proven, no headache way to go for starters.

If you want to really want to start pushing the performance end of it, add more cam.
If you want more out of your carb, add more carb,

As the cam selections go up in the so called performance scale, so does the power band rpm range.
340 cam is a good 1,000 rpm to 5,000 rpm cam and has enough vacuum to run power brakes if you so desire.

People like the Lope for putting around at the car shows and cruise ins, makes the car sound real tough. But these 2,500 rpm to 7,000 rpm cams don't start to make power until 2,500-3000 rpm, so consider how you will be using these on your application. They are hard to get going from leaving a stop light so to say, because they are making a very low percentage of their power just coming off an idle. That's why the guys are putting the higher stall torque converters in them to allow the engine to build rpms up into the power range of the cam before the drive train starts to hook up.

There are a lot of much, much smarter people than me when you get up into the High Performance category of engine building, and will let them take it from here.

I like getting a car built, have great all around performance, keep the headaches to a minimum and go have a good time using it. Get the car done, you can always go back and build more power into it. Thanks

Just ran some numbers on the OP's parts combination for static CR, assuming 70-72 cc chambers, and come up with 9.1-9.3. The SRP pistons have a .036" lower compression height than the stock ones. So even with the minor milling to flatten heads and block, it is gonna be below the stock SCR.

So, IMHO, I'd not go too big. I looked at the first cam suggested and thought it would be a pretty good cam for spending a lot of time on the street; good lift to duration ratio. But as said, you need to check lift clearance on he heads in the retainer-seal-guide area.

As said, you'll be challenged to spool it way up in RPM from a light with the 2600 TC, but with a cam like that 1st one, that rear gear and tires, it is GOING to spin tires plenty with that TC. My son's 340 has a similar cam and with a 3.55 rear and 2200 TC and it will spin tires from a top with half throttle.....true SCR is 10.0. Your lower SCR means you would have to open the throttle more but you'll have more torque than traction. It's gonna be a wee bit stouter than the /6 LOL!

600 to 750 on the carb IMHO.

-
Back