Cam and Intake question

-

straightlinespeed

Sometimes I pretend to be normal
Reaction score
I was having a issue last summer and I decided to pull my intake and replace the intake gaskets just to eliminate any question about them not sealing well. So being that I had the top off the engine I decided to look things over. I was checking out the cam wear and was just wondering if the pic below is normal. I have somewhere between 2-3K miles on the cam. The cam is a XE268H. Sorry tried to get the pic bigger but couldnt

View attachment IMG_20150215_172109699.jpg

Now as for the intake. Im just using standard bolts with a flat washer for attaching. I noticed that a couple of these were loose when I went to remove them. Loose as in I could turn them out by my fingers without force. Is there a way to keep them tight for good?

The engine is a LA 360 with Magnum heads and magnum air gap intake. Thanks everyone.

with an aluminium intake...the bolts need to be check occasionally cause of the difference of the expansion rates between cast iron (heads) and aluminium intake..

The pattern on the cam looks reasonable to me. I know I've seen many of mine that looked similar to that with a few miles on them and still had "plenty" of life left in them.

As far as the intake, I always treated them like aluminum wheels.....meaning I checked the torque on the bolts on a regular basis. Like ever couple weeks regular basis.....yes I was anal about it, lol! The good news is, after a few re torque's they tend to settle in at staying tight.

You can also clean the bolts and head threads well and use a liquid teflon sealant on them. It keeps them from loosening up and stops the ugly oil seapage up the threads.

Cam looks good. On the intake bolts......I like using Permatex #2 because it does not harden completely. That way, when you recheck them and retighten them later on, the seal will not be broken like it would using RTV. JMO.

Thanks Moper and Rob, Just wanted to make sure everything is checking out. I do have some of that Permatex #2 and will use that when I reassemble.

-
Back