cam bearing install

-
I think the rear one would be next to impossible to do in the car.

Indeed. It would not be hard to install a new one, but pretty difficult to install a new camshaft plug with the transmission bolted up after you knocked the old one out knockin the old cam bearing out the back. lol.

The real problem is getting the tool to fit since it is at least as long as the block. You'll need the entire nose of the car off the car and the center support removed as well since the cam will line up with that vertical support.

As mentioned, the rear bearing would be a bear, at the easiest. The plug behind it may be butted up to it. If such is the case, you'll probably not get the bearing out while the engineis in the car.

IF you screw up a bearing while installing one....and it drops down...into the rotating assembley.... or oil pan.....

see where I'm going with this?

rumblefish360, I did see your earlier discussion on this subject from back in 2006. good read.

LOL, Thanks.

This is really best done with the block on the floor, rear of block on the floor. Cam bearing tool going down into the block. I know this sucks, but it is the easiest and best way to get it done.

Installing bearings in car is possible, but certainly not easy, though less labor intensive.

-
Back