Cam bearing problem

-

Dartish

Reaction score
Pulled the original 360 out of my 86 w250 apart yesterday. Had 150k on it. Ran fine but oil pressure was a little low and it was getting tired. Noticed the cam bearings are tottaly shot. Flaking and chipping on all 5. Ironically the engine I rebuilt last year and put in it was an 86 block also. The cam bearings looked just as bad in that one before they were replaced. Did Chrysler have a bad run of bearings in the 80s? Out of all the 60s and 70s engines I've had apart, I've never seen bearings look like this.Also what bearing is a good replacement? I'm seeing a lot of different part numbers. Thanks

Have you ever seen the outer layer flake apart like that? Any idea on causes? Just thought it was odd seeing it on 2 motors of the same vintage, back to back

Just ordered a Lisle universal bearing tool off Amazon. Does it work half way decent for a mopar block?

Just ordered a Lisle universal bearing tool off Amazon. Does it work half way decent for a mopar block?

The Lisle tool is great but it's all in the technique when dealing with cam bearings in a Mopar. You will have to come up with your own ritual but mine involves prayer, finger crossing, blessings etc..and when it all goes right-dancing a jig. First tip---Don't put anything away until you test fit a cam. J.Rob

I've heard the guy at my old machine shop say mopar cam bearings are tricky. What makes them different then say a small block chevy? Seems they be easier since you can see them from the top and bottom both???

I've heard the guy at my old machine shop say mopar cam bearings are tricky. What makes them different then say a small block chevy? Seems they be easier since you can see them from the top and bottom both???

Shitty machining from the factory is why. It is also why , when you correct everything on a Mopar they respond so well. J.Rob

My 80's 318 block I just tore down had lousy cam bearings as well.
When we redid the 273 we had machine shop install new cam bearings. I think $200 total imstalled. Good luck.
I thought I read somewhere about a certain bearing number getting modified. Do a search

My 80's 318 block I just tore down had lousy cam bearings as well.
When we redid the 273 we had machine shop install new cam bearings. I think $200 total imstalled. Good luck.
I thought I read somewhere about a certain bearing number getting modified. Do a search

Wow! $200 for cam bearings and install! This is one area where I need to raise my prices. I'm $12.50 a bearing install and about $45 for bearings--Durabonds seem to be the best BTW. J.Rob

I cant remember the price exactly. I know the bearings were right around $70 or so.
Isn't there a mod on one (if not more) bearings J?
Oh...no your prices are good leave em be lol
Wow! $200 for cam bearings and install! This is one area where I need to raise my prices. I'm $12.50 a bearing install and about $45 for bearings--Durabonds seem to be the best BTW. J.Rob

Machine shop here wants $400 to hot tank and cam bearing, and install a $5 set of core plugs their charging $25 for. Seems steep for a bone stock rebuild

I think its a year thing with 360,when i pulled apart my 86, 360 for my old 69 Dart saw the same thing FLAKING CAM BEARINGS. Time for a rebuild.

I cant remember the price exactly. I know the bearings were right around $70 or so.
Isn't there a mod on one (if not more) bearings J?
Oh...no your prices are good leave em be lol

I don't modify the bearings at all unless you consider de-burring the ID a modification. The real prep is to the housing bores themselves and the way I tighten (how tight) the tool on the bearing, how I hold the tool , and how hard or not hard I drive the bearing in with my hammer. I feel even the size of the hammer is important--I use a 2lb sledge. J.Rob

73 318, and my 98ish 5.9 magnum both had flaking cam bearings. I used sealed power

Machine shop here wants $400 to hot tank and cam bearing, and install a $5 set of core plugs their charging $25 for. Seems steep for a bone stock rebuild

I think it is. I had a 340 sleeved for that and the price included one sleeve, boring and honing the sleeve to match, labor, hot tank, cam bearings and core plugs for that same $400, and people told me that I got ripped off.

I think it is. I had a 340 sleeved for that and the price included one sleeve, boring and honing the sleeve to match, labor, hot tank, cam bearings and core plugs for that same $400, and people told me that I got ripped off.

You ripped THEM off IMO. J.Rob

When ordering cam bushings there is a year split when it comes to the part #'s. For a 360 using Durabond #'s 1971-78 uses part # PD-16 or PDP-16 and from 1979 to 2003 uses part # PD-25 or PDP-25 . The difference is in the width of the 3 middle bushings, the earlier one is .760 wide bushings and the later one is .615- .625 wide bushings.
Pricing for install, I see you've been quoted is rather steep. We charge 11.25 a bushing. Also pick up a new cam plug part # 96-1888crt (QualCast) or kit # 97-11.

You didnt, you scored.

All the bearing soft materials will flake off with age; 30-40 years to a problem seems common. (I dunno if it is just a particular mfr at a particular era, or due to oil acids or what.)

Labor rates vary a LOT in different parts of the continent. Nothing new in that.

You ripped THEM off IMO. J.Rob

You didnt, you scored.

I thought I did alright too. It started in a thread where someone was asking what the cost was to sleeve a cylinder. I said $400 bucks and was told I got ripped off. Apparently they didn't take everything else into account that's required for the job. With the tank comes the plugs and bearings, that's a given. There were prices bouncing around all over the place from $60.00 to $100.00 for the sleeve. They were correct. It is about $80.00 for a sleeve if they were to hand it to you. If you want it put in the engine things are going to cost a little more.

regarding the bearing material flaking: I don't know, but my best guess is poor oil change routine, and long term sitting with contaminated oil creating acids that attacked the bearings.

Try running ACL bearings.
All replacement cam bearings are made by Durabond except for Federal-Mogul's. Does not matter what the label says. Do you Have any water in the oil?

Never had any water in the oil. Motor always ran good, was just getting tired and valve seals were shot, and oil pressure wasn't the greatest

-
Back