cam choice

-
i have a 74 valiant 4dr with 318. its an auto with a 7.25 gear not sure on the ratio. i have a holley 600 and edelbrock performer intake, and headers although im not sure on the size. im looking for a street cam that will give a good sound. how does this summit one look?

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...4294908122+4294908110+4294887598+&appfilter=1

any other cam suggestions??

I would think that cam would be alright, but your carb is a little large. That cam will give a smooth idle and good low end power.

so the 110 or less will have a choppy idle, cause thats kinda the sound i want? am i going to have to change anything but the lifters with these new cams or will other things need to be replaced also??

so the 110 or less will have a choppy idle, cause thats kinda the sound i want?

And you end that with a question mark! You want a muscle car sound? Get it on a 110. You want a choppy sound, as in more aggresive sound than the typical hot rod strollin on by? Get it on a 108.

am i going to have to change anything but the lifters with these new cams or will other things need to be replaced also??

You don't have to, but I seriously suggest that you save up some dough and get a whole kit. IE; Cam and lifters of course, but, also, valve springs retainer, locks seals, timing chain.

That is the best route. At a min., get the valve springs that go with the cam.

First of all I would be more concerened about performance than sound.

Having said that I would go with a Comp XE256H or XE262H.

These shold put you right in the good performance, good sound catagory. Especially with your headers and free flowing mufflers.

Need a little more information on your set-up gear,stall,etc.

Call Comp Cams,give them all your info. See what they say. Bet I'm very close.

First of all I would be more concerened about performance than sound.

Having said that I would go with a XE256H or XE262H.

These shold put you right in the good performance, good sound catagory. Especially with your headers and free flowing mufflers.

Need a little more information on your set-up gear,stall,etc.

Call Comp Cams,give them all your info. See what they say. Bet I'm very close.

Similar, but slightly better cams are the Lunati Voodoo 256/262 and 262/268. I'd recommend the former, which is what I'm also putting in my '70 Duster 318. It's also got the 7-1/4" rear with 2.76 gears, so the extra low-end should help out a bit. If I was going with deeper gears and some extra head porting/compression I'd probably go with the 262/268.

Mopekid
Can you enlighten me on how Lunati cams are slightly better than Comp cams.

Just wondering.

the stall is whatever is stock. might change that after awhile, but at the moment im just getting the engine put together with a budget in mind. im going through the whole car (brakes,suspension,interior,stereo,paint. wheels/tires, and engine) this winter, so im not going all out. the car will be a present for my parents when i move back to california anyway, so im sure a somewhat mild engine will be fine for them.

There was a link posted a little while back to a discussion on another forum where the guy who designed the Voodoo line posted back-to-back comparisons with cam profiles from other manufacturers, in particular the Comp XE line. In numbers the gains were small (usually about 10 or so HP over the comparable cam); the torque band was also broader and flatter with the Voodoo's. It's not that much of a difference (the Comp's are still perfectly fine), it's just the Voodoo's have a slightly better profile over the other fast-ramp cams.

There was a link posted a little while back to a discussion on another forum where the guy who designed the Voodoo line posted back-to-back comparisons with cam profiles from other manufacturers, in particular the Comp XE line. In numbers the gains were small (usually about 10 or so HP over the comparable cam); the torque band was also broader and flatter with the Voodoo's. It's not that much of a difference (the Comp's are still perfectly fine), it's just the Voodoo's have a slightly better profile over the other fast-ramp cams.

Of course he is going to say his cam is better...He designed them ! LOL

Seriously, I have heard good things about Voodoo cams. I just happen to be a Comp fan.

Either way we are both very close number wise.

To the poster,I suggest you call your choice in cam's tech line,give them your set-up, and let them pic your cam. Thats what they do for a living. Again, I bet we are very close.

Whatever you do don't overcam a 318 if you plan to use it for street duty.

The XE256 and 262 as Johnny mentioned would be good choices. I'd lean more towards the XE256

Whatever you do don't overcam a 318 if you plan to use it for street duty.

The XE256 and 262 as Johnny mentioned would be good choices. I'd lean more towards the XE256

Here here! Those are the cams I posted links to. Good advice from Cracked.

from every thing i looked at the thumper cams dont come in till 2000 RPM,,for a stock converter,choose something that has an RPM range you plan on driving in,,,like 800 - 4800,,a cam that comes in at 2000 rpm,,will be useless with a stock converter,,you will supper in local stop and go traffic,

Here here! Those are the cams I posted links to. Good advice from Cracked.

Yes you did. :cheers:

That now makes three of us thinking along the same lines. 8)

Yes, both of you made the same suggestion, I just didn't click the links... Sorry rumble for not mentioning you as well. :cheers:

I would stay away... FAR AWAY from the thumpr cams. bad LSA 107*, too much duration even on the smallest cam. A really bad choice for a tight convertored 318.

from every thing i looked at the thumper cams dont come in till 2000 RPM,,for a stock converter,choose something that has an RPM range you plan on driving in,,,like 800 - 4800,,a cam that comes in at 2000 rpm,,will be useless with a stock converter,,you will supper in local stop and go traffic,

Supper? If he uses the wrong cam, they will eat him? I would have called it a typo but the keys are on opposite sides of the keyboard!:bootysha:

Supper? If he uses the wrong cam, they will eat him? I would have called it a typo but the keys are on opposite sides of the keyboard!:bootysha:

LOL, it's still a typo. The hands got confused. You could get away with the Thumper with a High gear ratio, you'd still have to wait, just not as long. I don't think the parents would like a set of 4.10's.... or would they, Hummmmmmmmmmm
The small ring gear scares me.

crackedback, please, think nothing of it. No apollogies needed.

Please don't pick a cam based soley on it's sound. The points below should be your criterea:

Compression
Displacement
Heads/port flow @ lift
Converter stall
Rearend gearing
Tire height
Ability to use power brakes
Intended usage

This would be my reccomendation: Lunati 60400LK
Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 250/256
Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 208/213
Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .454/.454
LSA/ICL: 112/108
Valve Lash (Int/Exh): Hyd/Hyd
RPM Range: idle-5000
Includes: Cam Kit

I've used Crane, Comp and Lunati. I'm very impressed with Lunati cams. You could go the next size up to the 60401LK:

Hydraulic. Best mild performance cam. Works excellent in fuel injection applications with performance chip. Makes approximately 19 vacuum at idle. Great for performance oriented marine applications and heavy towing applications. Perfect Street Rod cam. Has slightly noticeable idle.
Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 256/262
Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 213/220
Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .454/.475
LSA/ICL: 112/108
Valve Lash (Int/Exh): Hyd/Hyd
RPM Range: 1000-5500
Includes: Cam Kit

The cam above is what I'm using in my truck with a .040 over 360. Pulls right from the bottom but starts hauling *** around 2200 rpm and pulls hard past 5K. Might be too much for a stock converter, stock compression 318 (I'm running 10.2 to 1).

Overcamming sucks. Nothing worse than having to plant both feet on the brake pedal at a stoplight and wishing you had a third foot to blip the thottle to keep it running.

LOL, it's still a typo. The hands got confused. You could get away with the Thumper with a High gear ratio, you'd still have to wait, just not as long. I don't think the parents would like a set of 4.10's.... or would they, Hummmmmmmmmmm
The small ring gear scares me.

crackedback, please, think nothing of it. No apollogies needed.

Yeah! You must be one of those high speed hand swappin' typers....I saw a piano player doing that once...never a typer! LOL
dancedude.gif
clapp.gif
ththstoned.gif

thanks for all the replys guys!! goin to the swap meet totday, so maybe ill get lucky.

as far as sound goes, thats not the purpose of me putting in a cam cause the car sounds fine. but if im changing it, it might as well sound good too!!

jason

LOL @ Jason, good luck and have fun at the meet.

personally i did not like my lunatti cam, switching overto a hugues mechanical!

ps. anyone want to but a lunatti bracket master cam- 292 dur 480lift. it only has 2950 miles on it

-
Back