Cam for roller 402 stroker

-

spl440

Everybody's Fool
Reaction score
Have 1991 360 roller block, with cross hatch left on cyl walls. Have a Scatt cast crank, stock bore hyper piston kit, about 9.7 comp ratio, looking for a cam, hydraulic or small solid, what do you guys or galls suggest? it is going in a 67 Dart, set up more for road racing than drag racing, a street car. 4 speed stick, subframe connectors with battery in trunk. Has OOB Edelbrocks, with Howland Sharp rockers, 1.6 in and 1.5 ex, on a 360 now with LD340 with divider removed, and large thermoquad. FBO ing and TTI ex with crossover on 2.5 dia pipes. Again roller cam selection for a street car. Has 3.23 gears, not looking for high rpm horse power, a lot of mid range and drivability.

Sounds real close to my setup. I have 9.7 compression 340 based stroker with 3.23 gears, but small diameter tires, 24.6”
I run a comp 274-S solid flat tappet. I don’t think they sell that anymore. But you have roller anyways.

thinking around 240-245 duration at 050. Under 550 lift, 110 lobe separation angle.

very drivable and plenty of midrange. but that is very relative and subjective....what is the cam in your 360 now?

Personally I’d go with a double pump Holley style carb with the newer 750 ratings.

Last edited:
Contact a cam company. They are professionals at cams for your combination.

Contact a cam company. They are professionals at cams for your combination.
Just wanted to see what a moderate street stroker should be running and if the stock roller rockers would be adequate without switching over. I do know a stroker is more forgiving of a bigger cam

20-812-9 comp cams XR280HR-10 don't need a melonized oil pump gear but you want a new one so what the heck get one

Also will need a new flywheel, internal balance. Is a aluminum flywheel better for this combination?

My thoughts are probably dated on this, but most road race vehicles benefit from the extra weight of a steel flywheel. Not only that, but the extra weight helps dampen the harmonics in the rotating assembly. Aluminum flywheels are usually used for helping acceleration on lightweight drag cars. My firsthand experience with strokers is that they really don't need a lot of help there, the one I've seen rev's a heavy duty truck 11 inch flywheel and clutch assembly insanely quickly. Traction limited with 33X12.50-15 tires.

Again roller cam selection for a street car. Has 3.23 gears, not looking for high rpm horse power, a lot of mid range and drivability.
This is the primary reason I suggested the smaller selection hydraulic roller cam. I know this because a Comp XE274 H hydraulic flat tappet is a little big in a 391 stroker and will happily pull to 6800. Of course the faster hydraulic roller ramp rates will make it act somewhat small by design, too. But you can expect really strong performance from 1600 to probably 5800 rpm. And since you mentioned "set up more for road racing than drag racing" you'll have mid range torque that will let you steer with the throttle while blasting through turns.

Last edited:
-
Back