cam gift

-

3404spdfish

Reaction score
i am looking to pick some brains out there, I have never bought a cam without springs so I need some help. this grind was a gift to me and I would like to use it, any suggestions on sp
20240718_114846.jpg
rings, this cam is going in a 74 360 with j heads from a 340

also has anybody used a cam plate with chain tensioner on it?

View attachment 1716283270
I like the cam. Itt sould work well in a 360 with decent heads. I have also used a tensioner. With a quality double roller timing set, it is really unnecessary. They were originally designed for a stock single chain.

What heads are you using them on and what does your installed height looking like it's going to come in at? Engle recommends their #833 springs. But according to the specs on their page, you're looking at something in the 120 pound seat and 310 pound open range.

I usually like to start by measuring the installed height of a couple of valves to give an idea of how much room I have to work with.

“Generally”, std LA heads with factory type valves can be tough to get much more than 1.700” height…….which limits the spring choices that will accommodate lifts over .500”

If you have 1.680” height available, something like a Howard’s 98412 should do the job.

Last edited:
correct, J heads from a 70 340, for now it will have stock rockets unless i need to get adjustable rockers now just trying to get a drive in and out of the garage, been pushing this 65 barracuda around on and off for like 5 years.

You may want to port those J heads. From what I have read, there is not much extra flow around .500 lift in stock form, if anyone can confirm or correct me please do.

Last edited:
That's a big cam for a low-compression 360, and it's gonna need a decent compression ratio, for the bottom end not to go soft.
But, you know, a soft-bottom360 in a lightweight A, I suppose it could be a lot worse......

If you're using stock compression pistons in that 360, you'll want to advance that cam on down to probably about 102 ICL.

The easy way to tell if the cam is for an A or LA is to look and the middle two lobes of the rear 4.
An LA cam will have those two lobes just about parallel with each other, while with an A cam they’re way apart from each other.

-
Back