cam identification help?

-

pagilman

Reaction score
:cwm10: Hi, I bought a supposed used comp cam at a swap meet. on the end it has written with an engraving pen XE-268-H with 2 holes on the end. It was in a comp box the guy said it had less than 4000 miles on it. When I got home and started looking at it and comparing it to a 360 cam out of a 78 roadrunner, the 360 cam has about .032 more lift and wider cam journals. Do any of you guys think i got ripped and with the skinny journals it might be a 318 cam? Is it unusual to have the not as wide journals on a comp cam and do you think the the 360 just had an after market cam with a bigger lift than the comp 268? If I don;t get an answer I guess I will take the cam to my local speed shop for authenticity and i'm out 60.00. thanks for any resposes, your mopar brother walt

That's how they get more lift by turning down the journals and leaving the ramps high. Sounds like a magnum xe 268 to me, if by engraving pen you me die stamped.

Thanks for the reply, when I was talking about the journals I meant the one that ride in the cam bearings, they are narrower on the comp cam. when i measured the lift with a caliper, I measured from the bottom of the lobe to the top of the lobe, so the 360 cam was taller, thanks walt

:cwm10: No, the cam is not die stamped, it has xe-268-H written on the end with an engraving tool, (like a needle gun) thanks walt. :cwm10:

Oh, thought you ment back of lobes, jounals are smaller, did they change journal size in the later 360? comp cams are stamped on the nose, size & #. Doesn't sound good.

Yeah it's not sounding good because Comp cams does mark their cams good. It's been yrs. since I had one so I can't say positively where the marking was but I'm sure it was marked good. Go to Comp cams website and look up the lift for the XE 268 cam and see what the lobe lift is supposed to be and compare it to what that one is. If it don't match up I'd say you got hammered.

Hi, went to the machine shop yesterday and they measured the cam and said it is a comp cam. He said he has seen comp use an engraving tool to mark the cams before, thanks to all who responded.walt :salut:

-
Back