Cam lobe discoloration normal?

-

71DodgeDemon340

Reaction score
Hey guys, finally got started on my slow coolant leak from my intake, got the intake off, got everything cleaned up for the most part. Still a little oil and coolant i have to get out of the valley, I just had a question about the discoloration on the cam lobes, does it look normal?

B4FC7D61-E6AF-423F-B5C9-0B3BC4361A8C.jpeg

6D7516E1-D8EB-4474-8723-7698BE86DE7F.jpeg

also hows the wear look on the rocker arm rollers?

CE9BDF52-17EF-43D7-9C45-7F6860B50050.jpeg

Gonna try to button up the intake tomorrow before the cold weather moves in

Yeah I see a couple of blue lobes. That ain't good.

Hard to tell from the photo if that's bluing on those few lobes or there just stained. 65'

Looks like a lack of good oiling to those 2 lifters. And/Or the use of oil for a modern engine that lacking the proper additives for flat tappets causing heat build up cooking the lobes.

Looks like a lack of good oiling to those 2 lifters. And/Or the use of oil for a modern engine that lacking the proper additives for flat tappets causing heat build up cooking the lobes.

using mobil one 15w-50 full synthetic

supposed to pretty high on the zinc and phosphorous ppm

Engine was built by a reputable engine builder. Break in was done by the engine builder on the dyno

I don’t get it. The amount of money we all spend building these motors and then try to save a few bucks by buying some main stream mass produced oil for modern cars in our vintage junk just kills me. Most of us drive these cars lass than 5000 miles a year, this one oil change a year. What’s a case of Penn Grade cost? Less than 100 bucks for 2 oil changes plus some to top off.
Penn Grade or Gibbs Driven. Which both can be gotten from Summit or chity Amazon. Amzoil is also good.

I don’t get it. The amount of money we all spend building these motors and then try to save a few bucks by buying some main stream mass produced oil for modern cars in our vintage junk just kills me. Most of us drive these cars lass than 5000 miles a year, this one oil change a year. What’s a case of Penn Grade cost? Less than 100 bucks for 2 oil changes plus some to top off.
Penn Grade or Gibbs Driven. Which both can be gotten from Summit or chity Amazon.

The mobil one 15w-50 is listed for racing and flat tappet applications, its what the engine builder recommended. Actually they recommended 20w-50 but a few years after i had the engine built mobil one changed to 15w-50. Maybe they altered the zinc levels?

Lobes don't look to have excessive wear, a few do appear to have gotten less oil flow. JMO 65'

What would you guys recommend?

The mobil one 15w-50 shows 1200 ppm phosphorous and 1300 ppm zinc. Also list the 15w-50 for flat tappet applications

should i be worried about it?
I use Lucas Hot Rod and Classic oil in mine. 10w30. It has 2400 PPM of ZDDP. I'm not sure your cam is really "hurt" yet, but it's on the way.

I know it cant be “undone” but would i see any issues later on? Eventually start wearing the lobes? Im going to contact the engine builder tomorrow and see what he says.

I know it cant be “undone” but would i see any issues later on? Eventually start wearing the lobes? Im going to contact the engine builder tomorrow and see what he says.
I don't know. I would step up to an oil with higher ZDDP and cross my fingers. It might be ok. Just no way to know.

So is it most likely a oil additive issue? I mean i cant make them receive any more oil. But i deff can change the zinc and phosphorous levels

-
Back