Cam oiling tab and bolt

-

74dusterman

74dusterman
Reaction score
I am putting my 340 back together finally. When I disassembled the engine there wasn't an oiling tab for the timing chain and the bolt with the oil hole was missing and a regular bolt was in its place. I have heard mixed opinions about the oiling bolt and the tab. How important are they? Should I find them and use them or should I assemble the engine without them? I am installing a new double roller timing set if that makes a difference. Thanks for your help and opinions.

My 273 had a solid bolt, I reused it. If you can find one with the oil hole, I would use it. You're right, different opinions here, lots of previous links about this.

When I built my 360 it just had the drip tab. I reused that, installed an oil slinger and drilled a little hole in one of the bolts. Been running great for a year now.

My son drilled out one bolt for the oiling bolt and then fabbed a drip tab from sheet metal, using a factory one from a 360. Easy to do those 2 things.....

leave out the top passenger side bolt...chain will get plenty of oil...

I have a 360 in the shed for a core. I will tear it apart and see if it has one that I can use. I guess better safe than sorry. Thanks again.

I drilled my bolt, and used the tab. Seems important to me as it directs oil right to the chain.

-
Back