Cam Ok?

-

bobscuda67

Reaction score
I was going through my engine this year and I found this really small imperfection on a cam lobe. The lobe has full lift so there is very little wear and all the rest of the lobes are in great shape. The old lifters all had a good wear pattern but I am still replacing all the lifters with new ones.
Do you think it'll be alright to run it? What would you do? Of course I don't want to tear it apart again but I want it to last too. Thanks

Attachments

• Dad's Pictures 044.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 195
If you are talking about what looks like the slightly flattened spots on either side of the peak of the lobe, and possibly some wear down on the peak, that is not good. It look like there are 'angles' or 'breaks' in the smooth arc of the cam's profile at those points and looks a bit 'triangular' in shape; am I seeing that right? (Kinda hard to tell with the light reflections and grease...) It looks to be wearing, and is probably past the surface hardening and will keep wearing.

I have run such a cam in my poor, younger days on an old truck that I did not use much. But, if you want to run and drive this car for while, I'd be replacing that cam.

Those are reflections and grease on the ramps. The only part in question is the nose of the lobe. It is smooth with no dips on the ramps. A couple pics of the ramp area with the grease wiped off.

Attachments

• Dad's Pictures 049.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 156
  • Dad's Pictures 048.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 165
I would pull it, but that's just me. It may work just fine, but it would always be in the back of my mind.

Well I pulled it out and found 3 other lobes that are just starting to get pitted. You really have to look to see them there so small. So now I need a new cam. Anyone have one reground? Or is it a waste of time?

Never had one reground, but cams are cheap. Find one that fits your build and put it in. Don't forget to brake it in rite.

-
Back