Cam plug creativity

-

65Valiant_NC

Reaction score
I bought a 91 Dodge D150 with a 3.9 v6 in it. While putting a clutch in it everything within the bellhousing (clutch, flywheel, etc) was covered in oil. Cam plug is leaking badly. So I was thinking of tacking a bolt to it and using a slide hammer to get it out since I don't wanna pull the cam. Any other creative ideas to get the plug out without removing he cam?

You may not have to get that drastic. You have a large awl? Remember, the cam has a lathe center 'in the center,' so a recess. Take your awl and punch a starting hole dead center in the plug. Screw a big sheet metal screw in there and grab it with a puller.

You may not have to get that drastic. You have a large awl? Remember, the cam has a lathe center 'in the center,' so a recess. Take your awl and punch a starting hole dead center in the plug. Screw a big sheet metal screw in there and grab it with a puller.
I like that idea.

if its leaking so bad, it can't be in too tight so be careful with that awl

I bought a 91 Dodge D150 with a 3.9 v6 in it. While putting a clutch in it everything within the bellhousing (clutch, flywheel, etc) was covered in oil. Cam plug is leaking badly. So I was thinking of tacking a bolt to it and using a slide hammer to get it out since I don't wanna pull the cam. Any other creative ideas to get the plug out without removing he cam?

If you tap it in a circle with a medium ball peen part way toward the center it'll probably just fall out.

I would simply get a punch and hammer and smack a hole in the middle and rock it out with the punch. It will seat against the cam bearing step to the bore and stop allowing the punch to poke a hole in it. Then it's all downhill from there.

I would simply get a punch and hammer and smack a hole in the middle and rock it out with the punch. It will seat against the cam bearing step to the bore and stop allowing the punch to poke a hole in it. Then it's all downhill from there.

Thanks to that lip it'll probably fall out just trying to punch a hole through it.:D

-
Back